Quadra Fire Castile Insert won't feed pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skives19

Oct 23, 2016
Michigan
So here's my problem. Less than a week ago we changed the feed (Auger motor) on our Castile insert cause it was making a noise and was bad. Stove was completely clean at the time.

Stove worked perfect for 2 days then stop feeding pellets into the firepot.

Stove works if I manually put pellets in firepot but does because no pellets are feeding into it but everything else works like combustion blower and heat element. Also I can feel the auger turning if I touch it with side panel off. It turns then stops and I hit the reset button on the front by the blower setting switch.

We have tried everything in the manual and what we've found on this forum. I'll list below what we tried.

1. Blew compressed air through vacuum switch hose towards stove.

2. Empty hopper of pellets and vacuumed it out. Pulled auger motor off mount and wiggles it around to my sure nothing was jammed. Found no issue.

3. Checked snap disc 3 but figured if it tripped stove wouldn't have power ( am I right on this?)

4. Checked snap disc 2 but this is auto reset so it would be bad and if that's true wouldn't the auger motor not turn or my stove wouldn't have power (am I correct I on this?)

I can't think of anything else to try. Anyone have an idea?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks!!!

Try jumping the vacuum switch and see if the auger works
You cleaned the hose but there may be no vac or switch is bad

Reactions: kappel15
I'm sure you checked this.. But did you make sure the set screw on auger is tight? when u change out that auger all the pellets do drop and may take a few turns to prime it again.

Did you hit reset button and see if it is turning.

Yes, #3 shuts power down to whole stove, and #2 shuts power down to auger motor.

So I jump the vacuum switch and nothing happened. The auger wouldn't turn so I'm guessing the switch is good (if I jump it correctly) I'm new to this stuff. I stripped both ends of a wire and stuck each end in the switch wires and taped them with electrical tape.

Not sure what to do next?

Try jumping #2 snap disc like you did with the vac switch. And do like Fish on said about checking allen screws on auger. Also check your wire harmess connections to make sure they are good. kap

Jumped snap disc 2 this morning it wouldn't feed pellets. Also tightened the set screw which was tight. Checked all wiring. Everything seems fine.

Auger still turns. Is there any way to see into the feed chute beside above the firepot? I've taken pictures that way with my phone and there doesn't seem to be a jam but if there's a better way to see in there I'll try that.

Thanks again for the help.

Only way I do it is with a flashlight and a mirror. And explain again what is going on. You put pellets in pot, and then stove works? It will feed pellets then or not? And auger still turns all the time, part of the time. on and off? Make sure the firepot thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover, and is sticking in the pot 3/4 to 1". Unplug stove and pull control box, and then reseat it. Plug stove back in kap

Last edited:
When I jumped both the vacuum switch and snap disc 2 (separate times) no pellets would feed into the firepot.

Auger turns at start up then stops and starts after I hit reset button.

We replaced the auger motor a week ago because it was making a very bad noise. Stove worked great for 2 days then stopped feeding pellets into the firepot.

Does it keep running after you hit reset button?

So I jump the vacuum switch and nothing happened. The auger wouldn't turn so I'm guessing the switch is good (if I jump it correctly) I'm new to this stuff. I stripped both ends of a wire and stuck each end in the switch wires and taped them with electrical tape.

Not sure what to do next?

I’m concerned about the connection you mentioned with electrical tape, may want to try a mechanical connection. Also have you bench tested the new motor, just cause she’s new doesn’t mean it works.

So we are stumped here about the stove not feeding pellets. We have a service call in so they'll be out in a week. So we one week to try to fix it ourselves or get charged $190.

We have jumped the vacuum switch an snap disc 2. Those are all fine.We also disconnected the vacuum hose and blew compressed air through it. We took the whole auger assembly out to check for a jam (No jam present) and I tightened the set screw. Stove does its startup up process and the auger turns for the first minute then never turns again unless I hit the reset button on the front.

Our local quad dealer said something is telling the stove not to feed pellets and it could be the control box. Is there a way to tell if a control box is bad? I assume if if goes through a startup process that it is good but I could be wrong.

Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks again.

If the capacitor goes bad, it will reverse itself, but this is a new motor and should have a new capacitor in the wire harness. Now you said it will run for a minute and quit. It is suppose to do that. It will do the initial feed for 60 seconds. Then the thermocouple has to read 200* for proof of fire, before it will start feeding again. And I would make some jumper wires about 6" long and put some spade connectors on em to match the wires on your vac switch and #2 snap disc. This way you know you have a good connection when jumping them, to eliminate that part. kap

Do you know someone with another Quad stove, you can test your control box in? And did you unplug stove, pull control box and reseat it as suggested above? Then plug stove back in? kap

I know pressing the reset button reinitiates the startup process but if I keep doing that wouldn't it eventually get pellets up to the feed chute and drop into the firepot?

it should, but do you want to run the stove like that...Every time you reset the ignition circuit is turned on so a lot more use. It’s more of a band aid. I know guys can repair controllers, just not to sure who around you does it..

You can try putting your old auger motor back in and see if it works. process of elimination. Only other thing I can think of is either your control box is bad, or your thermocouple cause if it feeds for the first initial 60 seconds, but not after that, the thermocouple isn't reading 200* to start the feeding process. kap

I manually put pellets in the firepot then started it up and it got to 200 degrees but still didn't feed pellets into the firepot. Does that point to anything?

Did the green light come on in control box?