Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 Heat Exchanger Rod is stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat Exchange

Jan 7, 2013
Is there an easy way outside of calling a repair person to get to the heat exchangers for the CB1200? The left rod is stuck and it appears the only way to it, is to tear the stove apart. I'm a doit yourselfer but yikes.

Wiggle and jiggle. Get inside the ash clean out and try prying the bottom part.

From the clean out, you can see the end scraper plate.

Had one of mine stuck my 1st year with mine. When I didn't know to clean the stove and protect it from rust (humid summers).

Only takes a little creative thinking and some finesse :)

Wiggle and jiggle. Get inside the ash clean out and try prying the bottom part.

From the clean out, you can see the end scraper plate.

Had one of mine stuck my 1st year with mine. When I didn't know to clean the stove and protect it from rust (humid summers).

Only takes a little creative thinking and some finesse :)

Wingle and Jiggle did it, after slicing and dicing my hands. I couldn't get my hands inside the exhaust area to get to the scraper plate. I talked my wife into getting her hands dirty because she's a bit smaller (a lot smaller). After failing to get anything under the plate to pry she made the statement, "I wish the rod handles were bigger and easier to grab and pull". That stirred the brain juices up and I pulled out my handy dandy vice grips, latched onto the stuck rod, and wiggled and jiggled until the bugger came loose. Makes a HUGE difference when both heat exchangers are cleaned up. House started warming up again. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.