Quadra fire classic bay won't feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Antic74

Apr 17, 2017
Colorado
Hello. I have a quadra fire classic bay. I believe it was installed in 2011.

The auger stopped feeding a few weeks ago. It has been really loud, so I knew it was headed out. I went ahead and replaced it. It still wouldn't feed, so I jumped the vacuum switch, which did the trick. So I ordered the new vacuum switch, but now that I put it on it still isn't working. I checked the tube, it is clear. I had a replacement snap disc #2, threw it on just because, no change.

Forgot to add the fan blows, lights are normal, just no auger feed.

Next? :confused:

Last edited:
Sounds like you're not getting enough airflow through the stove, due to bad fan, or more likely, the stove needs a thorough cleaning. The venting also probably needs a good cleaning. And/or your door gasket(s) may be leaking enough to prevent enough vacuum to trip the switch.

Thank you. I spent today cleaning, checking the gaskets, etc. Still not feeding. Also, when I bypass the vacuum switch nothing is happening. Odd, since it was before.

Double check the connections when you jump the vac switch. Also, the tube might have been clear, but did you check the nipple it attaches to on the drop tube? It might be plugged with saw dust. Also does that year have the hopper door switch that shuts auger off when hopper door is open? And you changed snap discs. That seems to be the only difference when jumping vac switch worked, and then didn't. kap

The hopper door does prevent the feed from running. I did change the snap discs, but not until after the new vacuum switch didn't work. First thing I did was check the #2. Utterly frustrating. I have checked the connections, tried a new jump wire. Nothing. :confused:

I will definitely check for the plug like you suggested. Thank you

OK so I've cleaned,vacuumed, brushed, vacuumed again, put back together, and the auger still will not feed. With or without bypassing the vacuum switch. With or without bypassing the #2 snap disc. What am I missing? It ran when I first installed it (with the vacuum switch bypassed) but hasn't run since.

Wondering if the new auger is defective or burned out. Did you try just testing the auger out of the stove? If the new one is, I would start to think that perhaps something is burning them out. Crossed wire, something wired wrong on install etc. I'm sure Kap will have more suggestions but that's what I would try first to isolate the auger outside of the stove.