quadra-fire insert and freestanding ... who uses one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I have a Englander woodstove insert in my fireplace. Considering a pellet stove in the future. Tired of dealing with the wood and the mess it makes. Wife is really tired of it!! I heat with a heatpump so this will be just to assist the heatpump when it gets really cold and we just like having a fire sometimes. Have a 1100 sqft house.
I just started looking around online. My local dealer sells the Quadra so I started looking at them on youtube. Some videos show a large fire burning so perhaps they can put out some good heat??? I have a fireplace so an insert is possible OR a freestanding as well.

I'd just like to hear from owners of these stoves as to what they think of them and what they like or dont like.
THANKS!!

Been getting roughly 1/3rd of my heat for a 2200 sq. ft. house from an older model of Quad's smallest pellet stove, the Santa Fe, for 12 years. No experience with later generations of 'em, or with other pellet stoves. The Quad has treated us well, all told. It's a different sort of heat than a wood stove though. It's not the same feeling of penetrating radiant heat, the heat's in the hot air it blows instead. The flame's not as much of a show either -- worth a look but not the same richness to it. Quadra-FIre has long been part of Hearth & Home (hearthnhome.com), along with half the other stoves on the market in the US, and my general impression is their quality is in fair ratio to their price points across their brands.

Reactions: maraakate
Don't get a Quadra Fire. I had mine less than one year before the dealer broke the wireless thermostat that Quadra-Fire has already discontinued. They make a replacement thermostat but I've been waiting 1.5 months for it to show up. I still have no idea when it will be here.

Sounds like the gripe is with the dealer for breaking it in the first place. Electronics supply chains have been badly disrupted for stoves, cars, even cellphones now. Bad timing, but not exclusive to Quadrafire.

Been getting roughly 1/3rd of my heat for a 2200 sq. ft. house from an older model of Quad's smallest pellet stove, the Santa Fe, for 12 years. No experience with later generations of 'em, or with other pellet stoves. The Quad has treated us well, all told. It's a different sort of heat than a wood stove though. It's not the same feeling of penetrating radiant heat, the heat's in the hot air it blows instead. The flame's not as much of a show either -- worth a look but not the same richness to it. Quadra-FIre has long been part of Hearth & Home (hearthnhome.com), along with half the other stoves on the market in the US, and my general impression is their quality is in fair ratio to their price points across their brands.
I got a Quad Santa Fe from 2006 and does just fine heating my first floor exclusively. Rarely even use the oil furnace. Been very satisfied with it.

Cb1200 fs heated the house for 19 years. No complaints here :)

Reactions: maraakate
Quad Trekker here with BT device. Has become "set and forget" after two seasons of trying different pellets, adjusting BT placement and POF sensor. Do these things require a "break in"? Heats my 1600 sq home. Cannot be easier to thoroughly clean. Replaced a large Franklin style wood burner. No clinkers. Lots of heat. No more stacking stick wood.