Quadrafire 1200i Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fernden

Feb 15, 2021
Waxahachie, TX
I have a QuadraFire 1200i (fireplace insert) giving me trouble. Seems to light and burn perfectly fine, but once it goes out, it won't come back on with thermostat. I have to force it back on with reset button. I've given it a thorough cleanout, tested the thermocouple wire with a multimeter, checked connections. I don't want throw a control box ($$$) at it just to see. How can I test/troubleshoot?

Have you cleaned the igniter opening and all the holes in the burn pot? Is the gap between the pot floor and pot body less than a dimes thickness? When you did the thorough clean did you unhook the liner and vacuum it out? The combustion blower and chamber?

Have you cleaned the igniter opening and all the holes in the burn pot? Is the gap between the pot floor and pot body less than a dimes thickness? When you did the thorough clean did you unhook the liner and vacuum it out? The combustion blower and chamber?
Thanks for your reply. I did all of these. Today, it’s not even getting up to set temperature on thermostat before going out. It lights and burns just fine, but once the blower comes on, the pellet feed stops for some reason. What would be causing this? Also, I tested thermocouple with multimeter and lighter and it got up to 18, so I figured it was fine. Could it still be the thermocouple?

18mv? Is the TC touching the end of the cover? Is the cover clean inside? When it is burning is the flame real active. Did you clean the chimney liner? Pull combustion blower and clean it and the chamber it goes into?

Yes, I had the multimeter turned to 200 mV and it got up to 18. TC cover definitely touching TC and I had already cleaned the cover. Flame very active. Cleaned chimney liner and combustion blower.

I think the TC is good also. You ever been into the burn pot chamber under the ash lip? 2 screws takes the plate off it can get a lot of ash in there and thats you air intake.

Yeah it and the ash drawer tend to go after a while

Last edited:
Yeah its the ash pan/drawer There is a seal on the border of the pan

It is but it still has a seal/gasket. If you slide it out and look on the pan where it touches the stove there is a gasket. Make sure its good no gaps and it makes contact all the way around

The ash pan is just a simple metal pan to catch ashes. No seals. See pic.
F6B5C12C-B1F0-4433-ADC3-00FA2CBF9BF2.jpeg

I forgot yours is an insert, gotta be on the door frame, spring clips are so it is adjustable a few times before gasket needs changing. The one under the pot flange and the ash door/pan are the most critical

If it's burning as it should after it gets going it's probably not the pot gasket but won't hurt to change it anyway. And there is no "ash door" gasket. I'm sure you ruled out a vac switch dropping out soooo. When the stove shuts down after it gets to temp, does the call light stay on and you have to turn the stat down to turn it off in order to restart? My vote is for a plugged up auger and/or weak auger motor. The motor doesn't like the heat when it gets to temp and gives up. Probably not the motor capacitor but wouldn't hurt to replace that too.

So the fire starts and burns real healthy, but the feeder stops BEFORE the stat reaches set temp. The blower comes on and blows warm air out, but fire dies out slowly because the feed stops. The call light stays on, but stove never starts back up automatically. Do you think it’s stopping when the firebox reaches certain temp and then doesn’t come back on? Wouldn’t that be a communication between thermocouple and control box?

I don't think it's a communication between thermocouple and control box. Try starting it from cold with the stat, run it on high until the red light in the control box is on and everyone is happy. Now, before the feed stops turn the stat down just until the call light is off, let the stove cool down and see if it will restart on its own when the room temp drops. I have one that does the exact same, I also found instead of hitting the reset, if I just bump the stove with my hand it will start. I put a stethoscope on my auger motor to be able to hear it and it's trying, just won't do it without a little help. Have a spare of everything else, just not an auger motor, it's been ordered.

Makes sense. I saw a video on how to bench test an auger motor and I’m going to do it tomorrow. However, I do have a question. Why would the auger motor come on without a problem at start but not come on again?

Wish I had all the answers. Maybe you'll be able to tell me tomorrow.

Tried what you said and turned it off with the stat. It then came back on its own at the appropriate stat temp, however, did same problem (burned well for a few minutes, then stopped feeding and went out eventually). I do think you’re right that the auger doesn’t come back on for some reason.

I guess i would pull the auger motor and run it on the bench and see if it quits when it gets warm. and put the gasket under the pot.
Quad start-up sequence pg1.jpegQuad start-up sequence pg2.jpeg

So I ordered and replaced both the door rope gasket and the fire pot gasket. The stove ran like a charm for one evening, going off and on when it was supposed to. By the next day, however, it was back to the same problem. It only runs through initial initial cycle, then it stops feeding, fire dies down, the stove goes off eventually. I pulled the auger motor out and tried to turn it on my own and there was a lot of resistance so I’m assuming it’s fine. Any other ideas?

I'm still thinking weak motor or capacitor problem that's heat related. I haven't done anything with mine yet until the weather gets a bit warmer. I found if I leave the cover off of one side (mine is a Castile) it will run as it should. Maybe try leaving your sides open and see. I'll yell when I dig into mine further.

Reactions: unioncreek