Quadrafire 7100 FP heat zone problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cplacemd

Dec 30, 2014
Sand Springs, OK
New to the forum and love it! It has been very helpful in assisting us with the purchase of a new Quadrafire 7100FP. We just had it installed and have burned 24/7 for a week. Love it!

BUT! As far as I can tell, the extra heat zone option was a complete waste of money. The quad is located in our great room with our master bedroom located directly behind. We put in the extra return (auxiliary air) to suck air from the master, and then routed the outflow from the heat zone into the master. Thought this would heat both the great room and the master bedroom. Because it's located directly behind the quad, there's no distance to the pipe getting there.

I'm burning really hot with well-seasoned oak splits and can barely stand in front of the thing, so I know the heat is there. I have tried every possible configuration (front blower off, aux air return open or closed, etc) to try and get hot air to come out of that heat zone vent into the master bedroom - I even stood up there at the vent and tested it with a temperature gauge - it's coming out at around 70 degrees when the room is about 68 degrees. Not going to warm up very fast that way!

So were my expectations just too high for warm air to be coming out of the heat zone kit into the master or should I contact our installer to open the wall (it's not rocked in yet thank goodness) and make sure everything's routed correctly? If the heat zone kit just doesn't do very much, how does Quadrafire advertise this as an option (as their installation diagram suggests) to heat other zones of a home if this is all the heat you get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Sounds like something is not configured or installed correctly. Hopefully it's something simple. Start with the electrical. Is the return air fan working? Can you hear or feel it coming on?

I haven't installed this unit, but looking at the installation manual I am wondering if the aux convection air control needs to be unlocked? Can you adjust this lever or is it locked in place? If locked you might want to try it unlocked. Ask your dealer about this. Instructions are on page 19 on the installation manual. The manual is unclear whether using this option is required for your setup. I don't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Yes, all electrical is working, fans running. Aux convection lever is unlocked. It's a simple damper to re-direct from aux return. Have tried both opened and closed and neither makes a difference.

I think it's either that I'm expecting too much or that the aux heat zone blower is sucking cold air from somewhere. Just seems crazy that the thing is pumping super hot air out the front and totally unable to redirect anything warm back behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.