Quadrafire 7100 vs. Quadrafire Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shop girl

Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2006
Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your threads and posts in these forums. they have been very helpful. We have narrowed our serch to the quadrafire line of stoves. we would like your input on these two wood burning appliances. we know that the 7100 is a fireplace and the other is a woodstove. we can go either way. our initial object was to have a fireplace look but now are considering a stove because of all the venting and intake ductwork need for the 7100. we would like to know which would be more user friendly and provide the long term trouble free heating. Is the wood stove lower maintenance? thanks again for all your great advice.

Without having any specific experience with either of the stoves, I'll say this. I think the heat distribution ability of the 7100 with the blowers will make you quite a bit happier than the stove. I know the cost of the 7100 is a bit higher, but ultimately if its an option I think its the way to go.

Well, I saw this post come up so I thought I would set up my membership here and throw out my two cents. I don't know of anyone else that owns the 7100...... I do however! I have owned the Quadrafire 2100-I in my previous home and now have the 7100. When we bought the house, it had the zero clearance fireplace. After about two fires, we ripped it out and put in the 7100.
The 7100 puts out lot's of heat and is pretty easy to use. It looks good too if you are going for the fireplace look. Much more efficient than a fireplace of course. I really believe the Quadrafire line of products are very well built. Having said that though, the 7100 has a few problems. One being, when it is not in use, the outside air kit allows the cold air to blow in through the front of the stove and can make the room its in pretty chilly when not in use. Major problem in my opinion. Not sure if it is fixed on newer models (this is the 3rd season for ours). Their fix at the time was to have a terminatin cap on the outside of the house that you could open or close. Like I want to go out in the snow when it is zero out and have to open the flap when I want to have a fire!!! Don't think so. Another minor complaint would be that right where the doors come together, the ashlip or what ever you want to call it dips down lower at that point then the rest of it and ash always seems to fall out there onto the floor. Minor issue compared to the cold air. Pretty expensive piece of equipment too. I think I would always go towards the freestanding stove if you are wanting it to be a main heat source. We do run ours just about 24/7 though and usually put 2 - 3 cords through it in a winter. Needs to be stuffed pretty well in order to keep the secondary burn going too. Big firebox makes it harder to keep the temps up inside for the clean burn when trying to get a long burn. So if you want a clean burn, you are not going to get the 17hr burn time that they dreamed up and be prepared to keep lots of wood handy as it can be pretty hungry. If you choke it down enough, still warm in the morning, but the glass will be sooted up. Usually always sooted in the lower window corners. I just like the idea of a woodstove in the corner. warming the house quietly without having to run fans on the unit. They are fairly noisy on the 7100 if you are trying to watch tv for example, but we are used to the noise now! The isyle Royale sure looks like a nice stove, but do not have any experience with that one.

Tim,

Did you install the ptrap for the outside air kit like the manual suggests? I was getting cold air coming in and went back in installed the p trap and no more cold air. A bigger lip would be nice. I have no issue with the fan sound as I can adjust it to any setting i'd like.

Ptrap???? What is that? Is yours a newer model by chance? Got mine in 2003 or 2004. At that time, it was a known problem with no good fix. My manual did not mention anything about that as far as I know. The dealer knew about the cold air problem as well and never mentioned this. What is it and where do you install it? I'm all ears!! As for the fan, yes, it is completely adjustable and when on high, it gets pretty noisy, but it also really moves the heat too so it is a trade off of course. After the room/house gets up to temp, we turn the fan down and it is barely noticeable.

I installed my unit last year so its a 2005 model. But the ptrap should be unrelated to what year. Its basically a loop that you create in the outside air flex pipe. Not sure if you still have access behind your fireplace. I didn't think it would make a big difference but after noticing the draft and rereading the manual I called my dealer up and they came out and correct their failure to do it properly. Wasn't actually their faul, the manual actually has a defect in it, its says to reference a picture to show you the ptrap but its the wrong picture. I called quadrafire and they confirmed the picture is incorrect and they faxed over the correct one. Ever since then, no draft. My buddy has the same stove and did the ptrap and no draft, same model year. Hope that helps, i know how upset I was when I was getting the draft since that was one of the big reasons for ripping out my old zc.

Hi! I don't have much time to type, but I have the Isle Royale. I love it. I can't tell you if there's any difference as far as care or easy of opperation. You put wood in & burn it. I would think the maintanance(sp?) is the same (cleaning out the ashes, getting the chimney swept). I think it boils more down to the location. Do you have enough room to put a huge free-standing stove without any flamable pieces of furniture too close? Also if you have kids, or friends' kids over, will they stay away from it. I think the Isle Royale has a nice old-world look to it. Does that go with your decor? Anyway, I have to go, but good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll love either one you get!:)

My guess is they didn't know what to do yet to correct the cold air problem when I installed mine. I may have installed mine the first fall that model came out. No mention of the Ptrap anywhere in the install manual. Can't get back there now either. I am glad that you do not have the draft issue!! We just keep ours going most of the time so it is not that much of an issue. You can sure tell when there is no fire though....the cold air can get pretty bad! By the way, I think the Isle Royale looks really nice!! Both are good units.

Well its a done deal. we bought the Quadra fire 7100 today and should be shipped after thanksgiving. will keep all posted on install problems. hoping there are few. Didnt see anything in the owners manual about a ptrap though and will make sure that we have some type of closure before it is all inclosed. Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming. The ashes will be a problem we can deal with.

Congrats on your decision. Page 4 (2) makes reference to the p trap. If you call Quad they will fax over a diagram. I would reccommend burning for a month or two to make sure everything is working properly. Once you seal it in, it will be tough to access anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.