Quadrafire 800 bad control box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh.Grier

Jan 11, 2015
Gunnison, CO
I noticed this morning that the combustion blower on my quadrafire 800 stove will not turn off unless I disconnect power to the stove. I also noticed that now when my stove gets up to operating temperature there is a very rapid clicking sound coming from my control box. My stove is already out of warranty so I cracked open the control box to take a look and when the stove comes up to temp I can see one of the power relays on the board cycling a couple times a second. In conjunction with this the red light on the control box flashes. I cleaned the contacts and all the electronics inside the control box but it hasn't made a difference. Otherwise, the stove seems to be functioning normally. It responds to the thermostat without any issues and runs fine apart from the the noise from the control box and the continuous combustion motor. Does this sound like a dead control box or is there something else I could look at to try and troubleshoot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the wiring on the combustion fan? It is either the fan or the control box. If you need a control box, I would contact forum member pelletstove93, as he has one for sale. kap

The combustion fan wiring all seems to be OK. I saw pelletstove93's thread and I'm hoping to avoid that same mistake. The control box sure isn't cheap so I would hate to buy one and not have it fix my problem but I'm not sure what else could be wrong at this point.

Exactly. Your situation is a bit different from his. He toasted everything with shorts that lead to the ultimate ending. He missed the reset button not being correctly wired. You on the other hand, you have just an exhaust fan issue. That is one of two issues as recommended. kap

Last edited:
Glad you are up and running. Stay warm. kap

This sounds like a bad box.

The blower is controlled by the box.

When the stat calls for heat, the comb blower and the draft fan start as does the auger (short time to feed startup fuel)

Once the system sees fire the auger will start again and then when the control box sees a good hot fire (Red LED) the stove will run until the stat is happy.

The room air fan comes on when the snap switch on the heat bonnet reaches the sweet spot

The stove will run until the stat is happy, then the auger shuts off and the fire dies out.

The room air fan will run until the snap opens.

The comb fan and draft fan will run on until the internal temp of the fire pot drops below the low threshold signalling the ECM that the fire is done.

Usually the comb/draft will shut off slightly before the room air fan.

When the start up takes place, a timer starts (on the board) and if the ECM does not see fire within the preset time frame, the stove will shut off.

A failure in the timer circuit or the relays can cause the condition you are seeing.

My bet is a failed board, or components on the board.

Good luck

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.