Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200I. Convection blower sensitivity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roadjunkie

Dec 27, 2016
Colorado
OK: I LOVE my insert Quadafire. Even on the medium setting it puts out the HEAT! I have had a few minor problems, all easily remedied. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the convection blower turning on? Occasionally when the room is near the cut-off temperature, the stove will start, exhaust blower starts, pellets feed and the fire starts but then the auger stops and the stove shuts down having burned a bunch of pellets without the convection fan starting. Seems like a waste of pellets as that heat is not put into the room. I see a white adjustment "screw" on the front of the control box. Is that what this adjustment is for? GREAT stove otherwise. Did I mention it puts out the HEAT?

Do you have a thermostat? If so what is the swing temp set at. Sounds like it is not set far enough apart.

Reactions: kappel15
And where is the thermostat at in room? Near stove? Conv. fan runs off of a snap disc. Disc hits a certain temp. and fan comes on. Disc hits cooler themp. fan shuts off. Snap disc could be going bad. Bad wire connections. Is this a new stove? Back in 2011, they had some issues with the disc being tightened too tight from distributor, causing disc to act erratic. Just loosening wing nut helped. kap

Yes, there is a thermostat: a Honeywell programmable at the FAR end of the long room the stove is in. It is a new stove and new thermostat. I would not know how to reset the swing temp.

If it is new, I would be calling the dealer to check it out. That is what he gets paid for. Should be a manual with the tstat. Should tell you how to set temp swing. kap

Do some checking and see what temps are when tstat calls for heat, and what room temp is. See what temps are when stove shuts down before conv. fan comes on. As stated above, try loosening #1 snap disc, to see if it helps. It was 5 years ago when they had this problem, but could be rearing its ugly head again. Also check and see what colors are showing in control box. Green or red. And does stove start again without you having to do anything? kap

In addition to what Kappel has stated above, I would like to know what the model number of the thermostat is. Wondering if it even has the availability of a swing setting. Some do not. Walmart sells a few different ones.

Reactions: kappel15
Do some checking and see what temps are when tstat calls for heat, and what room temp is. See what temps are when stove shuts down before conv. fan comes on. As stated above, try loosening #1 snap disc, to see if it helps. It was 5 years ago when they had this problem, but could be rearing its ugly head again. Also check and see what colors are showing in control box. Green or red. And does stove start again without you having to do anything? kap

I have it set at 68. Usually comes on at 67 or so and is at 67-68 when the convection fan comes on. Control box is green. Stove starts again without having to do anything when the start temperature is reached.

Thermostat: Honeywell RHT6350.

This unit is not really designed for a pellet stove. Don't get me wrong, I know it will work by turning the stove on and off but that is about it. I have looked at the manual and it does not have a swing temp setting. Without that setting your stove will not have time to run through it's proper cycles. A swing setting of 2 degrees on either side will work in most cases. Meaning, if the thermostat is set at 70 it will come on at 68 and shut off at 72. This allows for the proper time frame needed for the stove to run its full cycle. You can sometimes get away with a 1 degree swing but it is risky. I have the same stove and use this wireless thermostat with a swing setting of 2. It works without any missed starts or premature shut downs. There are wired versions that have a swing temp setting that are much cheaper. I feel the lack of swing temp is why your stove is not running full cycles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A22EB2/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Convection fan will not come on till after control box red light comes on, as stove isn't up to temp yet. Green light is only 200* and tells the stove there is proof of fire, and can start feeding fuel. kap

OK: bought the LUX TX9600TS which is a programmable, wired (as I had already wired the thermostat in), swing temperature adjustable thermostat. It works GREAT! It hasn't been that cold lately but the QuadraFire runs longer, allowing those pellets that have dropped while the "call" light is on to actually cycle long enough to have the circulating/convection fan to go on. Problem solved! I'm still fiddling with what temperature the swing should be. 2 degrees seemed a bit too large. Tried 1.75. I might settle on 1.5 but am still figuring out what is best. It is adjustable from 0.5 to 2.5 degrees. Supposed to be cold this week. That will help me get it set! Thanks for the input!

Reactions: mralias