quadrafire mt vernon ae error cannot get pass ss-med step (Feb 2009 model)

b27flx Posted By b27flx, Dec 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM

1. b27flx

b27flx
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 3, 2017
    Loc:
    Maine
    hello everyone
    can somebody help me with a firing issue ?

stove seems to be running fine until the slow start med (ss-med) step then goes into shutdown mode
    the flame looks big (see attached pic) and strong until it it enters the shutdown mode

sometime the error is min firepot temp

please correct me if I am wrong but
    tc-droptube looks ok because it feeds the pot with pellets just fine
    tc-firepot reads ok because it goes through ss-low, ss-med steps
    (meaning to me that it reads the firepot's rising temps)

I suspected the convection fan but when I've disconnected tc-droptube the conv fan starts to blow @full speed
    each time I disconnect either TC from the control board it tells me immediately which TC "has failed"

cleaned everything extensively
    made sure the tip of the tc-firepot touches the tip or the white TC cover
    made sure the tc-droptube ring is not corroded and it touches clean the metal drop tube

could it still be a faulty firepot-tc ? controlboard ? (which is rev C)

to make matters worse the rusty screw that keeps the TC pinned to the firepot has broken

can't drill it out @that angle - i think I've broken 5 drill bits :( not no avail
    does the TC copper needs to be in close touch to the firepot metal? like some sort of ground?

appreciate your help
    ~peter

Attached Files:

2. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    If the firepot tc is not being held in place, it won't read right. It is not grounded to the pot. You are not getting a tc error code, but that doesn't mean it can't be bad. You can pull cover off end , unplug from control board. put test probes in end and heat other end with lighter. If it produces millivolts, it should be good. If the braided wires have been bent too much, the coating on wires could of been cracked and will cause the tc to not read right. Best thing to do is to get bolt out of firepot. It goes into a riv-nut on underside, and replace with a bolt,nut, and washer. And be sure to put some high temp anti-seize grease on bolts, so they come off easier next time. And make sure wire is draped in slot with igniter wires, that keeps them clear of auto-clean mechanism. kap

3. b27flx

b27flx
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 3, 2017
    Loc:
    Maine
    thanks for your quick weekend reply

I took the firepotTC cover out and measured 0000V then put a lighter flame on it
    it went up to 0050V until i could not hold the lighter in my hands
    then it went slowly to 0000 as it cooled off
    can the firepotTC still be bad ?
    Is the firepot TC solely responsible for getting past the ss-med towards normal mode or whatever mode turns on the convection fan ?
    btw
    since I was there I checked the droptubeTC as well
    also it produces about 0030V
    the thing is even the stove is on OFF the convection fan starts blowing full\high speed as soon as
    the droptubeTC is disconnected from the control board (fan reverts back to standing still when the droptubeTC fire is connected back to the control board)

Is that normal ?

4. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    The firepot tc keeps the stove running in sequence by sensing the amount of heat. The drop tube tc runs the conv fan by sensing enough heat to turn it on, (100*) and ramping it up when more heat is produced. Is the latch side of the firepot tc towards the droptube tc? If not, it will be out of polarity. Have you checked wires ? Colors match, Connector pins, test for broken wires? #8 on the control board is the Comb blower feedback, and #11 is Conv blower feed back. kap