Quadrafire Mt. Vernon MBK lights and stays lit but won’t drop pellets to maintain fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

QuadMV

Nov 30, 2021
Illinois
When I turn my thermostat up my stove kicks on, lights and burns great for about 5 or 6 minutes, the only way it will continue to drop pellets is if I push the call button. I have changed the thermocouple twice, no flashing yellow in the frosted control box. IT IS CLEAN, I have taken the the walls out, the exhaust fan out and all of the piping and thoroughly cleaned them. I have bypassed 1 at a time on the snap discs and all three at the same time. I have also bypassed the vacuum switch. It acts like it isn’t seeing the 200 degree at the start up but if I keep pushing the call button it will see the 600 and the convection air fan kicks on and blows hot air into the house. I have also changed the control box and have three of them now, so that isn’t it either. I and the few dealers within 100 miles of me are stumped. I have had this stove for at least 8-10 years and it has been a faithful beast since day one and I’m not ready to give up on it. Any suggestions?

I have numerous parts and have torn this thing completely apart several times over the years without ever getting stumped like this. Lesson learned. That is exactly what was wrong. I thought I have experienced every problem this thing could throw at me, I am humbled. The original part number was 812-4470 and even stove specialty shops didn’t have one that I could find. Not a fan of aftermarket but if it’s between that and being cold then so be it. No forums touched on this either and I poured through several. Thank you so much maraakate, you have my house heating up again. And hats off to Kap too, I’m a big fan.

I have numerous parts and have torn this thing completely apart several times over the years without ever getting stumped like this. Lesson learned. That is exactly what was wrong. I thought I have experienced every problem this thing could throw at me, I am humbled. The original part number was 812-4470 and even stove specialty shops didn’t have one that I could find. Not a fan of aftermarket but if it’s between that and being cold then so be it. No forums touched on this either and I poured through several. Thank you so much maraakate, you have my house heating up again. And hats off to Kap too, I’m a big fan.
Look at the bright side, your stove is well prepared for cold weather! Stay warm.

Reactions: QuadMV
Glad to help. If possible, pony up the $$$ for the OEM one as soon as possible because these aftermarket ones have been known to die out after a season and short out taking the entire control board with them. It sucks spending $70 for the OEM part, but it should last years. If you haven't replaced the ceramic cover I would also do so as soon as you're able to.

Reactions: kappel15 and QuadMV
Also, thanks for replying back that you were able to fix it! We usually give out advice then see people disappear. Much appreciated!

Glad to help. If possible, pony up the $$$ for the OEM one as soon as possible because these aftermarket ones have been known to die out after a season and short out taking the entire control board with them. It sucks spending $70 for the OEM part, but it should last years. If you haven't replaced the ceramic cover I would also do so as soon as you're able to.
I couldn’t possibly put a price on something that has taken care of me for so many years. I will be tracking down an OEM part long before this season is over. I did replace the ceramic cover and it is shorter than the original, not sure if this is a big deal or not but after this latest excursion I will definitely be more cautious. And no problem, it’s only common courtesy to extend a warm thank you to someone that has made my life a little easier and a lot more comfortable. Thanks again and yes pun intended.

Reactions: maraakate
I couldn’t possibly put a price on something that has taken care of me for so many years. I will be tracking down an OEM part long before this season is over. I did replace the ceramic cover and it is shorter than the original, not sure if this is a big deal or not but after this latest excursion I will definitely be more cautious. And no problem, it’s only common courtesy to extend a warm thank you to someone that has made my life a little easier and a lot more comfortable. Thanks again and yes pun intended.
The coupler cover being the wrong size does matter. Make sure you locate the right one.