Quadrafire mt Vernon non-AE not igniting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AbuJas

Jan 13, 2013
Hampton Falls NH
i was wondering if anyone would know if the control box has an internal fuse, that deals exclusively for the igniter? The stove operates as one would expect, other than not igniting. I have cleaned the burnpot and exhaust path, and replaced the igniter element with a new one that has been bench tested to prove it's good, with no luck. No power coming to igniter when called upon? Everything else is fine. Runs for me in manual light, very well. 4 speed box changes speed fine, and progress in control box as far as expected functions work fine, like timed blower start, and shut down, etc. I' m pretty sure a new control box will solve my problem, but they are $350......and if a hardwired fuse is all that is needed to fix this problem, I would rather solder a new one in for $15.

i was wondering if anyone would know if the control box has an internal fuse, that deals exclusively for the igniter? The stove operates as one would expect, other than not igniting. I have cleaned the burnpot and exhaust path, and replaced the igniter element with a new one that has been bench tested to prove it's good, with no luck. No power coming to igniter when called upon? Everything else is fine. Runs for me in manual light, very well. 4 speed box changes speed fine, and progress in control box as far as expected functions work fine, like timed blower start, and shut down, etc. I' m pretty sure a new control box will solve my problem, but they are $350......and if a hardwired fuse is all that is needed to fix this problem, I would rather solder a new one in for $15.

2 things I would try before I replaced the control box. 1. Make sure you do not have a bad connection where the igniter plugs into the other connectors. Sometimes you pull on those and the igniter is fine but where they plug together has a bad connection.

2. Unplug the the stove then pull the control box and plug it back in to re-seat it. Sometimes it is just a bad contact.

Hopefully Kappel will chime in as he knows these stove much better.

Last edited:
Good advise from mralias. If you have a dealer close, that has the ability to test your box would help you determine if it is the control box. Or if you know someone that has the same stove as you, that you can try your box in. Just remember that yours is a 4 speedbox, not a 3 speed like the other Quads. I am guessing control box. kap