Quadrafire Mt. Vernon Troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rehoward

Aug 14, 2023
Everett, WA
I have the original Quarafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove serial# 1785454. I bought it new about 20 years ago and it has been great, until last winter when it stopped operating correctly. I first experienced very slow starts and a lot of smoke being discharged out of the chimney. So I replaced the ignition element and now all it does is turn the pellets black without producing any flame. And then it stopped feeding pellets. So I tested the vacuum switch by sucking on a rubber hose that I attached to the switch. The switch worked doing that but will not switch to start the auger turning. So I tested the auger and it works fine. All the snap switches seem to work. I can get it to feed pellets if I jump the vacuum switch. So I tested the igniter out of the stove and it glows cherry red. I am sure it doesn't get that hot installed in the stove. The blower comes on immediately and seems to work fine. The speed control works. I tested the thermocouple and it produces the correct milliamp current when hot.

I am about to tear my hair out dealing with this onery thing. Why isn't the vacuum switch working when installed? Why is the igniter failing to get hot enough? If I had a vacuum leak, where would it be? I noticed that the door for the ashtray has a gasket on it so I thought the ashtray compartment must be under vacuum when the stove operates. But in the back, the compartment is vented so why the gasket? I wish there was a comprehensive booklet to troubleshoot this beast. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Randy

Welcome to the forum
Here is a manual for 2006 not sure of the tear of your stove

Does push out pellets on start-up?
Is your stove clean from air intake to exhaust termination?
Smoke on start-up is normal
After reading your post again I am leaning toward not enough air
Dirty Stove (ASH)