Quadrafire Mt. Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weller

Aug 31, 2019
SW Missouri
Hello. New member here (but have poked around on threads, reading and researching), and also new to pellet stoves. We are in the market for a used one for our approx. 2000 sq.ft. home (with propane furnace). We have an opportunity to buy a Quad Mt. Vernon for $500. It is a 2006 model, works well according to the seller. Just wondering if that is a good buy, especially considering its age. Not sure if it's the AE or not. Also, any input on red flags we should be looking for?

That’s probably about right on the price assuming everything works. Your going to want to see it running and your going to want to make sure that your going to be able to take the baffles in the firebox apart. These can be tricky on well used units because they are hex heads that tend to strip out at the heads. If that happens you can drill them out and put new threads but it’s a hassle. I wouldn’t be afraid of it for that price if everything works but I’ve worked on quite a few of them. Be aware that some of the parts for it will be expensive because they haven’t made that unit in about 13 years.

If you haven’t already, you might check out Nixa Hardware. There are some really great deals this year with clearing out older models that do not meet 2020 EPA standards. I understand wanting to ease in to pellet stoves if you’ve never had one before, but the one your looking at is a bit difficult to maintain. If you really want a cheap used one, Facebook marketplace has a Heatilator cab 50 for 500 in Brighton that might be a bit easier to work on and cheaper to buy parts for. A warranty is handy for new stove owners though, so it might be worth looking at a new one.