Quadrafire MVAE flashing thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
The other day I wanted to double check the settings on my MVAE. When I initially pressed the "Menu" to back light the thermostat. It immediately started flashing and finally settled on displaying the firmware level of the stove. NOTE: it probably flashed 5 - 8 times and the back light was somewhat diminished. When it stopped, I pressed the "Done" button and it went back to displaying the temperature. This time I hit the "Menu" button and was able to complete what I intended to do. Worked fine after that. I then went away for 5 days so I turned the stove off. I did not pull the plug. I turned it off through the t-stat.

This morning I wanted to turn the stove back on so I pressed the "Menu" button. It started flashing again but this time the display was blank, it flashed maybe 20 - 25 times, backlight again somewhat diminished. After it stopped flashing it went back to displaying the temp as it is supposed to do. Tried again to turn stove on and all went well. I did check the wiring on the back of the stove. All was secure. Stove is plugged into a surge suppressor. Should I be looking at sparing a new t-stat? Also, does anyone know where the program is stored, in the t-stat or on the control board?

Thanks folks and I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.

I had this happen to me once, when I first fired it up for the season. Quad had me unplug stove and wait a bit and then plug back in to "reboot" the system. Did you check wire connections in wall control? White one is communication. Control board is like the tower on a computer, and the wall control is like the keyboard. kap

I had this happen to me once, when I first fired it up for the season. Quad had me unplug stove and wait a bit and then plug back in to "reboot" the system. Did you check wire connections in wall control? White one is communication. Control board is like the tower on a computer, and the wall control is like the keyboard. kap

Thanks Kap. I have my stove programmed. Do you know if the program is stored in the t-stat or on the control board?

Control board. Ya if you reboot it, you would loose the new fuel tables, if that is what you are talking about. kap