Quadrafire MVAE in manual mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
Can someone clue me in on the relationship and effects of convection blower speed setting, flame height adjustment and heat output. It would seem to me that there are only two variables when it comes to heat. Wouldn't convection blower coupled with flame height (aka more pellets) equal heat output? What am I missing. Thank you.

If by speed setting on the convection fan,you mean the normal and quiet settings, at one time some people whined that the stove was too noisy so they put the quiet and normal setting on the stove, which means it has to reach a higher temp to hit high speed. Flame height adjustment is for running your stove on high, and having the flame 8 to 10 inches above the pot. This sets the feed rate where it should be for this and all other settings. Heat output settings are for personal choice on what amount of heat is needed for the size of space and outdoor temps. If it is not cold out, you can run on a lower setting then high. Also, running on high on corn setting, the stove will run 2.4 hours before it does an auto-clean. On lower settings, it will run longer between cleanings. kap

On auto setting, the further away from room temp you are, the higher the heat output. The closer it gets to room temp, it slows down. On manual, it runs at the heat output you set it on and when it reaches it, it shuts down. Just like a furnace. kap

If by speed setting on the convection fan,you mean the normal and quiet settings, at one time some people whined that the stove was too noisy so they put the quiet and normal setting on the stove, which means it has to reach a higher temp to hit high speed. Flame height adjustment is for running your stove on high, and having the flame 8 to 10 inches above the pot. This sets the feed rate where it should be for this and all other settings. Heat output settings are for personal choice on what amount of heat is needed for the size of space and outdoor temps. If it is not cold out, you can run on a lower setting then high. Also, running on high on corn setting, the stove will run 2.4 hours before it does an auto-clean. On lower settings, it will run longer between cleanings. kap

Thanks Kap. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I went away for a few days. I must really be thick 'cause I still don't get it. So......when it really gets cold I switch from Automatic to Manual mode. I have a fairly large house open floor plan and high celiings and run the stove hot. When it Manual mode I always run the convection fan on Normal. I really don't think it's that noisey. So that leaves flame height and heat output adjustments. Obviously we all want the max amount of heat for the min amount of pellets. If I set my heat output on High, does it affect pellet usage? More pellets, more heat. Then there is the combustion blower. Higher blower speed will give you a higher flame. Are the two coupled through the computer? Maybe is's just hit or miss but as an analytical person I would really like to know the relatationships. Also, I do not burn corn. Hamers almost exclusively. Thank again.

Yes, with that big a house and cold out, you want to run on manual to keep the heat going. And if you have your temp differential set at its lowest setting, the stove will come back on quicker after it has reached desired temp. Flame height adjustment is your auger feed. You need to set this for what ever you are burning to have the right height of flame. You don't want to under fire or over fire your stove. Running on high will use more fuel compared to running on low. Best place to set it at is med. high. If it will heat your house on that setting. Otherwise you have to run on high and burn the pellets. The exhaust blower rpms depends on the heat output setting you have it on. The higher the setting the faster it will run to burn more fuel. This stove will burn 1.7 to 7 lbs an hour, depending on what setting you have it on. And this is only when it is running. Stay warm. kap

Last edited:
THANKS KAP. Hope you enjoy the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.