Quadrfire 1200 I Insert won't cycle after intial start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian in NH

Mar 12, 2016
NH
Hi Everyone!
This is my first time on your forum. So glad I found it, Thank you!
I have a Quadrafire 1200 I Insert. Installed new 7-8 years ago. During the last cleaning, I must have jostled the thermocouple and the control box started flashing yellow (3 blinks) on initial startup. Discovered one of the wires that connects to the underside of the control box was loose. When I tightened it, I over torqued it and stripped the screw. Quick fix, used a larger screw and tighten it back up. Problem fixed, right? Not the case. The yellow light is out and when I initiate a start up sequence, red light comes on, calling for heat, I see the blue light flash periodically (like 3 times) during the sequence of start up. The stove drops pellets, ignites them and once the initial load of pellets are burned, I hear a click sound from the control box and goes into shut down mode as if it's up to temperature. I've read that there is a vacuum switch that gets jumped for diagnostics. If it's the switch on the left side above the blower leads, I've jumped it, same situation occurs. I've also jumped the thermocouple under the box so it continuously calls for heat (or so I've assumed) and it still doesn't call for more pellets. I thought maybe the control board was dirty and gently blew it out with canned air. It was dusty, not filthy though. The unit is well out of warranty so I opened up the control box. It looks like it's been gunked up due to moisture exposure. We had water run down the inside of the chimney a while back, didn't know it dripped into the control box. It seems strange and after all this time, the board is just now failing. It could be the inevitable happening after all. Before running out and purchasing a new control box, I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for troubleshooting beyond the basics I've already performed. I look forward to anyone guidance into this matter. Fortunately, we're experiencing early spring conditions here in NH :) Thanks in advance. Brian

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. Can you get a pic of what wire was loose? I know of no wires that connect to the control box, except thru the junction box. A yellow light usually means an issue with the thermocouple. An easy remedy is if you know someone with a Quad stove you can try your control box in? Will help eliminate it as an issue, and not cost much. It will work in any Quad except the old style Mt. Vernon and the AE. Just need to change the setting on it. Or if you know a dealer that can test it for you. If not, pm me, and you can send it to me, and I will try it in my stove. kap

Hi There and thank you for responding. I will have to call my local dealer to see if they have a stove that can have my unit hooked up to it. Before vacuuming the stove it functioned as it should. Vacuumed it and the yellow light situation started. when the yellow light was on the unit had to be completely shut down to reset the light. I used the fuse a few time to reset the unit. I hope I didn't damage the board that way. Your thoughts?
I was reading about the vacuum line and making sure it wasn't clogged. I took off the auger motor cover removed the line and blew it out. Clear as day.
I was under the impression it is supposed to hook up to the vacuum switch, well, on my unit, the tube rests on the back side, nothings hooked up to it. I've taken the side panels off attempting to locate one and so far, I can't seem to find it. The location is according to the manual I downloaded from QF's website. Serial number 007C2000484. The year on the tag is torn off, but it starts with 2006 ends at 2008. I'm quite baffled. Any suggestions? I've been running the stove by continually flipping the thermostat on and off. Thanks again for your help

The hose hooks to the vac switch, and the other end hooks to the droptube. You have to remove the cover on the auger motor to get at it. There is a nipple sticking out of droptube that the hose hooks on. If you can only get a dealer to hook your box up to a stove, then that is what you need to do. kap

The hose hooks to the vac switch, and the other end hooks to the droptube. You have to remove the cover on the auger motor to get at it. There is a nipple sticking out of droptube that the hose hooks on. If you can only get a dealer to hook your box up to a stove, then that is what you need to do. kap
Hi,
I did take the auger cover off, found the hose connected to the nipple. It's the other end of the tube, it's not connected to anything. I can't find anything back there that it'll hook up to. It's baffling

IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3789.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3789.JPG
IMG_3789.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3792.JPG
    IMG_3792.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 108
We purchased this unit new, but was a floor model and the shop was going out of business. Son-in-law took over the business and installed the stove for us 5 months after we purchased it. I'm no electrician by any means. But I think this guy possibly high jacked the vacuum switch and wire nut the black and red wires together bypassing the switch? I was curious what the wire nut was for and looking at the wiring diagram I see listed a black and red wire to the switch. Am I getting warmer?

If you have the manual, it shows what a vac switch looks like, and where it is suppose to be. Back then, the vac switch was a metal rectangular looking thing. Newer ones have a round plastic one. Seems to be some wires hanging connected to nothing either. It is suppose to be located on left side of stove, behind panel. Looks like wiring has been cobbled a time or two. kap

Could be. Plus those wires are suppose to have connectors on em. Stove wouldn't feed pellets if it wasn't bypassed. The #1 snap disc(runs the conv. fan) has two purple wires going to it. The #2 snap disc has two yellow wires going to it. This shuts down the feed if stove gets too hot.

The wire connectors go to the convection blower. I put a piece of tape on the wire so I knew which went where. The capped wires have always been there. There's nothing back there to indicate a switch be it rectangle or circular. The pictures I took are of the back of the stove. I think you're right though, it's been cobbled with and my guess is that the stove shop jacked some parts off of it. I would no any better.
By tying the black and red wire together by passes the switch, would you agree?

I would agree. The vac switch is a safety feature tho. If vacuum is lost in the firebox, it shuts off power to the feed motor. Be it a broken door glass, bad door gasket, plugged exhaust, or exhaust pathway. You should be able to see where the vac switch was mounted on the back screen of the stove. Should be a couple screw holes. As I mentioned before, a yellow flashing light usually means an issue with the firepot thermocouple. But if you shorted something out, you could have toasted the control box. Only way to test box is putting it in another stove and see if it duplicates your issues. kap

Last edited:
Kap, once again I thank you for your time and insight, it means a great deal. I did find 2 screw holes on the back side of the unit.
I am going to reach out to my local dealers and see if they can plug my CB in. If I don't have success locally, I just might take you up on shipping mine out to you :) THanks again!! Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.