Queen Atlantic Cookstove - Damper Controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Monadnock

Oct 9, 2019
New Hampshire
Sorry for probably a dumb question. I've had woodstoves, but never a cook stove and never an old Queen Atlantic. There are two controls around the stovepipe. The first I think is just a slider plate main damper. The second is the little lever which appears to move what I'll call a "flapper" inside. Flapper down is unrestricted flow to the chimney. Flapper up restricts it to some degree. I can't tell if this is supposed to be the oven box smoke/heat diverter?

Anyway, I don't think I'm getting full movement out of the lever and flapper. The lever seems to only move it one way, down/closed. Is it supposed to pop back into the up/open position when I move the lever the other way? It looks like the flapper has sort of weight on it that might serve to open it by gravity.

Any explanations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpg
    IMG_5103.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5104.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited: