Ques for Santa Fe owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stikit2bigoyl

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
Waterville, Me
Hi All,
Finally decided on a Quad Santa Fe.Install is scheduled for Mon, 5 Mar. Wondering if any of you could let me know what brand pellet you are having most luck with in your stoves. Thanx, Brian

Id say welcome to the Forum. But you have been around for 4 yrs (Anniversary in 4 days)!!!! Welcome back, is more like it. ;-P

Love the Screen name... Classic.

I've burned 4 different brands but I doubt if any of them are available way up there in Me. since you're about 1200 miles from me. :) I can tell you that the Sante Fe handled all of them quite well except when the pellet length got EXTREMELY long - like 2+ inches. I had hardwood and softwood both. Some were very dense with small pellet length (3 five gallon pails not quite filled per bag) and others were much less dense (4 full 5 gallon pails with many long pellets). The key to getting the stove set correctly is to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO SET THE FLAME HEIGHT IN HIGH HEAT SETTING. I put that in caps because that's the only setting you have but it is extremely important to set the flame height to an AVERAGE of 4" above the fire pot for each brand of pellet and periodically during the burning season. The height will go up and down as the pellets feed but you're looking for an average. It may only be barely out of the pot and other times licking the angled deflection plate for a brief period.

Enjoy. Don't expect a whole lot of heat out of it though. It's small. But, at the same time, don't be afraid to burn it on HIGH for as long as you need it IF you set the flame correctly.

Best pellet over here have been Somersets. I burned 2 tons of pro pellets last year which were not too bad for 210 a ton delivered into my garage. This season I didn't even buy by the ton and have only burned about 20 bags of rocky mountains. I burned 2 bags of penningtons and they burned like pelleted mulch. I know people who use pellets for horse and animal bedding that would burn better after the bedding cycle than penningtons. I would have went after Somersets but they are a little out of my way as mild as this winter has been.

I have a santa fe as well as a castille. I have burned a lot of different pellets. But my 2 Quads burn best with Turmans. No clinkers, low white ash..etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.