Question about boards.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ifonly2005

Dec 24, 2022
New Hampshire
My st croix Hastings has been nothing shy of problematic since I installed it. I replaced the board right after Christmas. Set the settings for 3 (which my manual says is what I want for pellets) and it ran great. No black soot. Nice fire. Full deep clean from removing fan, to emptying pots and traps daily. I had unplugged the stove from the wall to clean a few things and plugged it back in from use. My question is does the board only get programmed one time? I assume after power loss of any sort would need to be reprogrammed. But when I try it (cold I know) it doesn't do anything but blink 5 times. It's now starting to back up pellets up into the feeding tray and not fully burning them. Since this has started, I've a few times taken everything out including bricks, ash traps. Vaccumd every crevice. I've even had blower off to really get in there.

It's a St Croix, they have a long exhaust path to extract heat but can plug up over time and burn dirty. Look up Leaf Blower Trick on youtube and give it a try. Basically unplug vacuum switch hose, hook up vacuum side of blower to exhaust pipe outside of house and let it Rip. I prefer to do it with stove door open, but you can do both if vac hose is disconnected first.

If this doesn't fix problem then you may have to clean out behind firepot side holes with choke cable, and brush behind back wall with coke bottle brushes up through ash doors.

It's a St Croix, they have a long exhaust path to extract heat but can plug up over time and burn dirty. Look up Leaf Blower Trick on youtube and give it a try. Basically unplug vacuum switch hose, hook up vacuum side of blower to exhaust pipe outside of house and let it Rip. I prefer to do it with stove door open, but you can do both if vac hose is disconnected first.

If this doesn't fix problem then you may have to clean out behind firepot side holes with choke cable, and brush behind back wall with coke bottle brushes up through ash doors.
I do this weekly due to running low heat because I'm in a mobile home. My question was about programming the board. Where it's supposed to be set at controls auger speed and all that. It's not allowing me to program it. Stove cold. Auger and trim button. I get all 5 blinks. When I first did it it allowed me to set it to 3 where it should be

You’re talking about the board main program, right? For the Hastings it should be program #3. If all the lights blink when you first plug it in, and then it doesn’t allow you to do anything, that sounds like a board problem to me.

Ken

You’re talking about the board main program, right? For the Hastings it should be program #3. If all the lights blink when you first plug it in, and then it doesn’t allow you to do anything, that sounds like a board problem to me.

Ken
Sounds like it to me too. It allowed me to do it when I first put it in. (3 months ago) since then it's been unplugged and now it won't let me change it.