Question about operating kinetic splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm looking at the used kinetic splitter on Facebook marketplace that listed for $1800. It's DR Power Rapid fire 34 ton, $2500 for new unit.
It's 2 years old. Seller says it has pinion worn down, but rack teeth are ok. He states that happened because of him not holding the lever down all the way when splitting. He will replace the pinion.
Is this operator mistake or should I just pass on that deal.

No. Walk away.

Reactions: TreePointer
I do not. My neighbor does. They seem light duty to me in person. You are supposed to engage them with a firm, quick action as opposed to slowly engaging them to save the gears I have been told. Some guys say slam them.

In this instance, to me, that just seems like a lot of money for what could be a very used/worn out machine that currently needs repair.

For that kind of money, why not throw in a few hundred more and get a brand new one, that doesn't have obvious wear and tear and isn't in need of repair?

Reactions: johneh
I have a Super Split.
A fast and deliberate engagement works just fine.
Parts are all USA based as is the company, not China.

I have a Super Split.
A fast and deliberate engagement works just fine.
Parts are all USA based as is the company, not China.
It seems strange that guy has to replace a pinion after one year of using it. He claims that he is amateur wood burner , not selling wood etc.
What can cause pinion failure in you opinion? Repeatedly engaging it without retraction on tough wood ?

Last edited:
It seems strange that guy has to replace a pinion after one year of using it. He claims that he is amateur wood burner , not selling wood etc.
What can cause pinion failure in you opinion? Repeatedly engaging it without retraction on tough wood ?
IMO he was running it wrong and yes, most likely "riding" the gear on the rack. It really needs engagement from the home position. There was also a China knock off that I forget the name of (It may have been DR) that the cheap steel they were using had the teeth get stripped off the rack.