question about outside air with P68...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timbo

Oct 9, 2009
Concord area, NH
Folks,

I'm toying with the idea of hooking up my P68 to outside air. It won't be a straight out the back to outside affair...I'll have to come straight out of the stove a few inches, 90 degrees to the left about a foot and a half and then a 90 degrees through the wall to the outside of the house. The manual calls for "non-combustible" material (2 3/8" ID) and Harmon has a flex hose kit that I can buy (probably for an exorbitant price).

I was thinking about making this out of PVC pipe as it doesn't seem to get hot at all down in that area and of course the air being drawn in is cold (and is only going to get colder as the season progresses). I have heard of others using pvc as well....is this OK? Am I better off using metal pipe? What do you guys use? I can't go straight out because my stove is backed up to a fieldstone fireplace (read, LARGE fieldstones). I wouldn't be able to, nor would I want to cut through the stonework.

Thanks,
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.