Question about pellets adn different heat output, Stove not heating like it used to.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe.G

Jan 21, 2018
NY
Hi, I have a Volgerzang 5790 Pellet stove which I have had since 2014, I know it is not a top of the line stove but honestly it has given me little trouble and has been able to heat my 2,600 SQFT home though Neg Deg winters and kept the home in the Mid 70's with out a issue and that's on a Med setting of the fan.

I have usually ordered Barefoot as my main pellet but would by a keeper pellet for the late fall early winter as I felt the Barefoot would get the house to hot when the weather was milder.
This year I was unable to get barefoot from my distributor so I ordered 2 Tons Of New England and 4 tons of Golden Pellet/energex I have burned both of these before but always early in the season.

Today is about 10 Deg F outside and my stove seems to be having a hard time keeping the home at 68-70 not this is still with fan set to 3 ( I have never ran it higher and always had it at three and set to turn to 1 at 72 Deg used to be set to 74 Deg but I don't think that matters as it only turns stove from fan speed of 3 to 1 and I am not even reaching the 72 deg set temp)

The only other thing that has changes is my Chimney used to go though the wall hit a tee and go up about three foot, I not have it go though the wall and out about 1.5 foot and end straight out with a cap.

Stove is cleaned on a regular basis and everything appears to be working well, Is this a chimney issue or a pellet issue?

Thanks

When was the last cleaning. Maybe the heat exchanger is dirty?

I agree with comparing apples to apples first, put your chimney back how it was, and make sure the stove is fully clean. Including the heat exchanger passages.

But I think you already found the answer. The reason you burned these pellets in shoulder season only in the past, is they don't get as hot. I have the little brother of your stove, and there isn't much adjustability, you're stuck with the factory programming for each heat setting. But with the right pellet it runs very well.

I'm not familiar with the pellets in your area, and there aren't that many available here. But I experienced this with the Kirtlands which are a hardwood/softwood blend. They just weren't keeping up, I'd have to max out the stove to get a little more output. And they wouldn't burn hot enough to maintain fire on the lowest setting, so they weren't even good as a shoulder season pellet. For the same price per ton I was just throwing my money away. The Pro Pelllets are all hardwood, and I've heard from others that these stoves like full hardwood pellets. I was shocked at the difference in reliability, heat output, and even the stove staying cleaner.

I do think it is just the pellet as I have never burn them in the real cold season, I was just not sure on the thoughts of my Chimney set up, Not sure if it is venting to fast? I am almost done with the New england and will be switching to the golden pellet next. Figured Id pick the peoples minds that know more then me. This stove has always been a heat maker with out a doubt.

Venting too fast was my thought,a lot of heat can be wasted that way.Also,per your manual,that stove requires 3 foot minimum vertical venting.

Reactions: rich2500
I see a lot of stoves vented that way so I figured i would try it to try and make it look nicer on the outside of the home, I will put the pipe back if that is what is causing it, Figured I would try a different tpy of peelet first and see what that does, Even though it wont be my normal winter pellet.

Venting is fine, as long as you are clean with a good draft. You are burning chit pellets..............

I agree with comparing apples to apples first, put your chimney back how it was, and make sure the stove is fully clean. Including the heat exchanger passages.

But I think you already found the answer. The reason you burned these pellets in shoulder season only in the past, is they don't get as hot. I have the little brother of your stove, and there isn't much adjustability, you're stuck with the factory programming for each heat setting. But with the right pellet it runs very well.

I'm not familiar with the pellets in your area, and there aren't that many available here. But I experienced this with the Kirtlands which are a hardwood/softwood blend. They just weren't keeping up, I'd have to max out the stove to get a little more output. And they wouldn't burn hot enough to maintain fire on the lowest setting, so they weren't even good as a shoulder season pellet. For the same price per ton I was just throwing my money away. The Pro Pelllets are all hardwood, and I've heard from others that these stoves like full hardwood pellets. I was shocked at the difference in reliability, heat output, and even the stove staying cleaner.
Found the same!

Okay so I completely cleaned the stove again, took motors out and everything, Put the New england pellets in again and the stove would run for a few hrs and then shut off while in a low burn, If I shut the damper to much the stove would get really dirty and too much air and it would shut off. I Have a ton of Barefoot left over from last year, Put a bag in and the stove ran like a champ no heating issues or burn outs. I have about 20 more bags of New England to suffer though and then on to the Energex which I hope burn better. The New Englands seem to be higher in Moisture which I think is causing my issue.

I wonder if you couold use up the New Englands by mixing them in with something drier. Say 20 or 25% New England and the rest Barefoot (or Energex, or whatever). That way, you wouldn't have to junk the New Englands, but wouldn't have to suffer from them, either.

Of course, they could also be useful decomposing in your compost heap, if you don't want to mess with them any more. :)

That is my plan to mix them, I don't want to waste them. This stove has always kept the house as warm as i wanted. GF likes it in the mid 70's