Question about using brush to clean pipes in a basement install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
For those with basement pellet stove installs how difficult is getting the brush if you have a 90 degree elbow in the piping?

My stove is on first floor straight through the wall and then up vertically 3 feet, I removed the external piping and then used a brush to clean the pipe through the wall, I have a 45 degree elbow inside and it wasn't difficult to push the brush through, a bit of resistance but not much really.

So my 2nd stove will be in the basement with a vertical run inside up about 5 feet and then a 90 degree elbow and then out through the sill, wondering how difficult would be pushing a 3" brush from outside all the way down to the inside through the 90 degree elbow.

Thanks,

Should not be any more difficult than your first stove, just has a longer run.
My stove install is 5' up and 3' out and is easy to clean. The brush I have has a 10' flexible
rod on it so it can get around the bends easier.

thanks tink, do you have a 90 degree elbow in your install then?

thanks, reason I was asking also is because I have a 90 degree elbow in the outside next to the cap and when I removed this pipes I could not push the brush through, I used a flex rod-brush also.

Get a nylon flexible rod. It will do the bends.
Some of the rods that claim to be "flexible" are not.
I forget where I got mine but it was online somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.