question for those with storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
i am installing my Tarm 40 very soon. It has been a "moving experience" thus far. I had to move 2 oil tanks and teh hot water heater out of the way inorder to get the Tarm close to teh chimney. Not cool... or fun. However one step closer. My question is to those of you who started out without storage ...... then added it later. If you had to do it over again...would you have just done the storage all at once? I know for some money is the issue. I am in the same boat. I really don't have emough money to do storage right now... but am wondering if I should jsut borrow 5 grand... buy it and have it installed now . That way teh syte is all set and iwon't have to have it done later. Should I wait and instll storage next year when I have the 5 thousand... or borrow it and do it now while the install is happenig? not worried too much about this year as iwill keep my woodstove in living room area to deal with fall and spring seasons.

Birdman said:
i am installing my Tarm 40 very soon. It has been a "moving experience" thus far. I had to move 2 oil tanks and teh hot water heater out of the way inorder to get the Tarm close to teh chimney. Not cool... or fun. However one step closer. My question is to those of you who started out without storage ...... then added it later. If you had to do it over again...would you have just done the storage all at once? I know for some money is the issue. I am in the same boat. I really don't have emough money to do storage right now... but am wondering if I should jsut borrow 5 grand... buy it and have it installed now . That way teh syte is all set and iwon't have to have it done later. Should I wait and instll storage next year when I have the 5 thousand... or borrow it and do it now while the install is happenig? not worried too much about this year as iwill keep my woodstove in living room area to deal with fall and spring seasons.

I put in my boiler and added storage a year later. In my case the issue was that I just didn't have time to do everything. In my experience, storage didn't reduce my wood consumption, it just made life easier and more comfortable.

I wouldn't be afraid to start without storage and add it later. On benefit is that you might have more time to find good deals if you're not in a hurry. I know of people who found propane tanks for very good prices, for instance. Just make sure that you plan for storage when doing your plumbing so that it's not too much work to add it later.

I had storage from the beginning, based on info from others on this forum; first open with used fuel oil tanks ($125 for the 3 tanks) then closed/pressurized with used 1000 gal LP ($850); in both cases plus plumbing cost.

You should be able to do closed/pressurized at way under $5000 if you go with the used LP tank route and possibly other do-it-yourself tanks.

Tend to agree pretty much with nofo that wood use will not be much less, but convenience and time savings go way up. There is an increase in boiler efficiency, both by being able to go high burn longer and to be able to use stored heat during warmer temp periods. This Fall so far I have been firing the Tarm (1 full load) about every 2-5 days, for example.

I put my Solo 40 in service in January '06 and added the storage in sept. It's not a problem but is nice not to have to fire as often.

If it were me I wouldn't spend the money on interest on a loan but wait until you can do it on your terms.

I spent about $1,100 on my tank but I got the copper coil at a time before copper went through the roof.

If I am able to get a tank for a good price.... what is the estiamted cost to have a plumber set up the pressurized storage... including his fee for labor and all the supplies that go with it?

Can't help you with this one as I did the install myself. You can get a clue as to parts needed by looking at the stickly post, this forum, "Simplest Pressurized Storage Solution."

Status
Not open for further replies.