Question on a piece for my wood furnace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ttopmustanggt88

Dec 8, 2007
central mo
Ive posted about a furnace i recently purchased and it did not come with all the parts like the blowers and electrical stuff but it did come with this thingy and i believe its the thermostatic switch for the main blower as it fits in a hole in the side of the stove but im not positive and if it is how would i go about wiring it up correctly? thanks for any imput. josh

Attachments

• stove thingy 001.jpg
    stove thingy 001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 304
  • stove thingy 002.jpg
    stove thingy 002.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 297
Maybe someone who actually knows what they're talking about will respond to this, but for now I'll give it a shot.

This looks like a bimetallic thermal 'snap' switch. These are designed in two flavors: normally open and normally closed. They will make (or break) a connection when the temperature rises above their setpoint, and revert to their normal state when they cool down. The hysteresis (the difference between the activation and deactivation temps) is usually fairly large and not adjustable. For this reason, they're often used as overtemp safeties as opposed to control inputs.

Of course, I may be completely wrong.....

Hi T Top,
Yes Nofossil is correct, it's a Klixon bimetallic switch, the temp rating is usually stamped onto the switch, I have 2 on my system. One of mine is a high temp unit mounted on my wood boiler flue, so when my flue sees a hot fire it holds off my oil boiler from firing. If my exterior Klixon sees temps less than 20 degrees F it then allows my oil fired boiler to have equal priority until temp then rises above 30F. The range is sometimes listed on the switch itself or it will have in it's part number an "L" with a number following. For example mine that have an L30 in the part # close @ 30F. Yes, they are usually used as a safety.

P.S.: I'm into Mustangs too, usually my user name is Barts5oh, I didn't use it in this forum.

My gas furnace in my camper had one of them had to replace it this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.