Question on Stove Top Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I am running a Regency I2500 Insert. Last night shortly after a reload, my flue probe temp was reading 840F. Using an IR Thermometer, The top of the Insert Read 317F and the edge of the door read 422F. I can understand the door being higher than the top as IR was probably picking up some of the blower exhaust. Is this a normal discrepancy between the flue temp and the Insert outside temp? It just seems to be big difference to me.

Images1.jpeg Images2.jpeg Images3.jpeg Images4.jpeg

The Regency temp is for the catalyst, not the flue temp though in this stove the cat is right below the flue. Typical cat temps are between 800-1200º.

STT is a lagging indicator. Try shutting air down quicker especially on a hot coal reload. STT will rise and flue temp should decrease.

Edit: sorry was thinking non cat stove.

My Cat stays in that 800+ range for maybe 40 minutes. Then drops slowly. I can tell the cat is firing because when I engage it the temps rise rapidly, but it does not last. Maybe I am just getting good efficiency out of the box and limiting the fuel to the cat, but I would have thought the probe temp would have stayed in the range longer.