Question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robert65

Dec 27, 2011
Central CT
photo.JPGAs you can see I have a pellet insert (PI40) I do not have an OAK and no plans this year but I did notice inside the Fireplace is an outside air vent that looks like a dryer vent. Should I leave this open or closed to allow the stove to draw air in from that? Or does it not matter at all.Thoughts please?

Outside Air Installations
Connecting the Winslow PI40 insert to outside combustion air is required
in manufactured home installations and when required by local building
codes. The fireplace insert’s air intake will accept 2” ID pipe to accommodate
outside air installations. The air intake on the exterior of the home
should always be located a minimum of 18” below the flue termination
and must remain free of obstruction. The inlet must also have a screen
with openings not larger than 1/4” to prevent rodents from entering. The
outside air pipe may run up the chimney, horizontally, or down provided
the structural integrity of the fireplace and chimney system are maintained.

Not required if not in a manufactured home or required by local code. If left open it will pull some air from that vent. I would use the vent for my OAK as long as it conforms to the specs outlined above. IMO

Reactions: robert65
if you do not have some type of conduit running from the stove to the opening then block up the intake of your fireplace to prevent drafts and whatnot fromt he outside coming into the home.

Reactions: robert65
Status
Not open for further replies.