Questions on having dealer paint a Harman Pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeye316

Dec 8, 2007
Amsterdam, ny
I am buying a Harmn P61-A. The dealer is charging me $150 to paint it with stove bright. Also I was wondering if this would be pretty easy to do my self and if the paint will last for a long time. Will we see cracking and faded spots because of how hot they get

I want a piece of that action. A stove should not take more than an hour to paint even a crusty one. If you are handy, and have some experience using canned paint, you should be able to paint the stove. I got tired of the black color of the shop stove, so I bought three cans of high temp yellow paint and did it in an hour. Including masking off, sanding, three coats (allowing for drying between coats) and clean up. Time was over a day, but that's about how much time I took. I used high temp engine paint from NAPA, I think it was about $7 per can, Don't know about the cost of stove paint, but shouldn't be that much different.

It's just as easy as painting anything else. You could do it yourself less expensively but he's not gouging you by charging 150 to paint it. I won't go into the logistics of small business ownership. Go ahead and open one yourself, make it sucessful and then tell me what you charge to paint a stove. Stove bright is right around 10 bucks a can so the majority of that is going to pay the guy to do it.

My P61A came with a can of touch up paint (Stove Bright Satin Black).

You should use stove paint for the job.

Do you need to paint the whole stove or just do some touch ups? If you do it yourself, I've heard that this paint is pretty nasty (contains acetone, propane, butane, xylene, n-butyl alcohol, and a wack of other things I can't spell ;-)

Good luck!

Kenny

Shane said:
It's just as easy as painting anything else. You could do it yourself less expensively but he's not gouging you by charging 150 to paint it. I won't go into the logistics of small business ownership. Go ahead and open one yourself, make it sucessful and then tell me what you charge to paint a stove. Stove bright is right around 10 bucks a can so the majority of that is going to pay the guy to do it.

Shane:
My comment was half in jest and half truth. I have been painting and finishing and repairing all kinds of things for thirty years, have the shop, the large and small spray booth, three different spray systems, etc. The stove is not a complicated paint, unless you are changing the color. Then it could take a little more time and care, but even with a shop overhead and the cost of all materials that is still a very decent wage.

Most people in the hearth industry earn every penny, in my opinion. I used to charge 75.00 but things are muchos cheaper out here in the West than in NY. That's cool that you paint, i've been collecting tools for such an endeavor for a couple years now. Once our house is sold, I'll be able to afford some VoTec training and may make that my career.

Status
Not open for further replies.