Quietening a Pellet Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techvet

Oct 4, 2009
Franklin NC
I recently discovered this forum and am an avid Pellet Stove fan. I'm about to embark on my third season of heating using an Avalon Astoria. My stove sits in a custom designed alcove designed to look sort of like an old floor level fireplace. It does an absolutely wonderful job of heating the house, but it is a bit noisier than I'd like. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on measures they may have used to dampen some of the nose. Most of my noise is the 'hum' from the fan motors. I had considered using some of the heat resistant Dynamat material on the inside of the side door panels an maybe up on the sides of the hopper as well as the bottom. Depending on what product you get, Dynamat is supposedly good for 200-300 degrees F, which should more than handle the temp extremes of the panels, etc. Any thoughts as to if this would work/help? Would I cause any problems??

Techvet said:
.......my third season of heating using an Avalon Astoria........ but it is a bit noisier than I'd like. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on measures they may have used to dampen some of the nose.......

I don't have any idea about the DynaMat, but I'm surprised about what you consider "noisy".....I had an Astoria, and after hearing a number of different stoves running, it was one of the quietest.

Have you kept up on the lubrication of the convection (room air) blower?

Please don't get me wrong, the stove is fairly quiet, but the convection motor in particular has a pretty audible hum with it and always has. As far as I know it is well lubricated and makes no noise aside from the hum. A buddy of mine came over today to help with the annual cleaning and he commented that it was much quieter than the motor on his fireplace, but he agreed that exposed sheet metal on the inside of the unit could certainly act as an echo chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.