Radiant heat insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireintheHole

Hearth Supporter
Has anybody here added radiant heat insulation after installing a pellet stove? What were the benefits, if any, such as running on a lower
setting and getting the same heat retention in the house?
I just bought a radiant heat insulation, ( 30% tax credit), and was going to do my attic ,(on top of the blown in stuff), and was wondering if
anybody had any feedback, as far as a lower pellet usage is concerned.
For the record, I just got a pellet stove 4 weeks ago and turned off my electric heat at the same time. I'm trying to get the best heat for the
buck, and trying to get the lowest buck for the heat.
Thanks!

Are you talking about the silver stuff? Not sure but I don't think it will help much if installed above the fiberglass... it's more effective at "radiating" heat back into the room.

I am thinking of the same thing for the "silver stuff" except that I am doing the basement walls that I dont intend on sheetrocking. Much easier than studding and using the fiberglass rolls. Similar R value as well on a 2x4 studded.

Is this thinking correct?

Make sure that radiant barrier is listed to be on top of insulation, which I highly doubt. Its going to trap moisture coming up through the fiberglass/cellulose. I've seen it installed under the roof to keep the attic cool or under the drywall on the ceiling but never on top of existing insulation. My last house had fiberglass batts rolled with the paper on top, and you could wring the water out of them.

btuser said:
Make sure that radiant barrier is listed to be on top of insulation, which I highly doubt. Its going to trap moisture coming up through the fiberglass/cellulose. I've seen it installed under the roof to keep the attic cool or under the drywall on the ceiling but never on top of existing insulation. My last house had fiberglass batts rolled with the paper on top, and you could wring the water out of them.
Thanks, I saw a "Holmes on Homes" show where he was talking about moisture barriers being on the inside of insulation, also.
I redirected my radiant heat insulation install to where it was needed, putting fiberglass insulation and studs in the remaining basement walls
with the radiant heat insulation inside. ( Over 4 ft of block are exposed on the outside of the house) This should hold the heat from the pellet
stove inside the house and not going through the concrete block.

Status
Not open for further replies.