Raise Telescoping Chimney Stove Pipe? Holes bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
My stove is currently sitting on the tile ground (we dont have carpet. house is tiled). We want to add a hearth which would raise the stove 4" off the ground.
Raising it will cause the telescopic pipe to be 4" shorter.. causing me to have to create 3 new screw holes in the pipe to keep its position).

Is this ok? will the original screw holes (now 4" up inside the pipe) cause carbon monoxide leaking/smoke?

Do i have to plug them up some how? (which seems impossible to do so).

:p

:eek:

It would be hard to plug them without binding the pipe. They shouldn't leak smoke but may if draft is very poor. More likely they will be tiny entry points for air being sucked into the stove pipe. Emphasis on tiny. You may not notice the difference.

Will not matter one iota, just a percentage of an iota. There are gaps in every joint and if you have an elbow or two lots more. What if you cut the inner pipe off at the old holes? Isnt that the same as a joint then? Is all that extra pipe up inside even necessary? Joint overlaps are sure not 4" to begin with.

Will not matter one iota, just a percentage of an iota. There are gaps in every joint and if you have an elbow or two lots more. What if you cut the inner pipe off at the old holes? Isnt that the same as a joint then? Is all that extra pipe up inside even necessary? Joint overlaps are sure not 4" to begin with.

its double wall. looks like the two walls are seamed/welded together. definitely wouldnt feel comfortable cutting it.

its double wall. looks like the two walls are seamed/welded together. definitely wouldnt feel comfortable cutting it.

Not sure what brand of pipe you have but with the Ultra Black the screws only penetrate the outer layer so no worries about leaks.

Reactions: Jotel me this
I have a similar situation upcoming and was going to put up a thread about this, so I’m following closely here. Are the holes in your pipe from a double wall pipe thermometer? In my case they are, and when I shorten the telescoping pipe for a change in setup, I have been wondering if I can use the same pipe or if it’s no good as it will have the holes in it where the thermometer used to be (and I’ll now have to make new holes to put it in a different location). Sounds like most folks here are saying it should be no problem...

I’ve worked on and repurposed a few pipes now and haven’t seen a difference in performance or cleaning of a flue due to one or two screw holes. I also agree that if any holes get covered up by a telescopic piece of pipe, no worries at all.

I will also be following now though, as I have a hole from a standard probe thermo in a length of double wall, 3/16” I believe hole, ie bigger than a screw puncture.

How big is too big for dilution air and what would one do to plug/seal a hole in the flue?

I have a similar situation upcoming and was going to put up a thread about this, so I’m following closely here. Are the holes in your pipe from a double wall pipe thermometer? In my case they are, and when I shorten the telescoping pipe for a change in setup, I have been wondering if I can use the same pipe or if it’s no good as it will have the holes in it where the thermometer used to be (and I’ll now have to make new holes to put it in a different location). Sounds like most folks here are saying it should be no problem...

sounds like it wont be a problem. double wall. doubt the screws would penetrate both walls. the holes are from the three screws; not a thermometer.

How big is too big for dilution air and what would one do to plug/seal a hole in the flue?

i dont know of any product to seal such a small hole unless its unsightly metal heat tape. or possibly once your finished to put the screw back into the original hole. maybe twist the pipe so the screw is towards the back. (?)

i dont know of any product to seal such a small hole unless its unsightly metal heat tape. or possibly once your finished to put the screw back into the original hole. maybe twist the pipe so the screw is towards the back. (?)
Yeah, it's a 3/16" hole in the inner pipe and 1/4" in the outer pipe, not just a screw hole. Otherwise I like your suggestion of just re inserting a black screw.

I was thinking about trying to surgically apply metal tape to the inner pipe then give it a shot of black paint through the outer hole...

I had too many holes after two hearth height changes and a couple of stove changes all with probe meters. So I just replaced the telescopic chunk of double wall pipe. It's like 100$. Maybe 150$. And is shiny new with no holes. You can't rotate it because the seam would look stupid in front. I align the seams in the back.

Yeah, it's a 3/16" hole in the inner pipe and 1/4" in the outer pipe, not just a screw hole. Otherwise I like your suggestion of just re inserting a black screw.

I was thinking about trying to surgically apply metal tape to the inner pipe then give it a shot of black paint through the outer hole...

Maybe squeeze high heat caulk in it? heat is heat. its good up to 600F. They make others up to 1000F

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-2...MInIW_vNTz3gIVRB6GCh2n8AVnEAQYASABEgJ3jPD_BwE