raising lintel by a foot , structural question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tristantristan

Jan 19, 2024
maryland
Hi All:

I have a question on enlarging a fireplace probably built in 60s to fit an insert, I have some construction experience but not really with masonry. I want to remove the red parts to raise the lintel. It will be removing some parts of the throat. I saw a couple of YouTube videos and the process did not show any support needed, folks simply knock those bricks off and then install a lintel high up, I just want to confirm no additional supports or temporary bracing are needed before doing the work. First image below is the actual fireplace and the second a cross section diagram,. Green is the new lintel and the red scribbled area is where I will be removing the bricks/cement. I appreciate the guidance!

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 10.56.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 10.09.20 PM.png