Ranco Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonty

Feeling the Heat
Jul 24, 2017
Kansas
Good morning, all. I have a question in regards to the Ranco controller that runs the pump supplying the heat exchanger in my propane fired furnace. The HVAC company that put in my furnace tied it in. They set it up so that the circulator pump runs continuously as long as the water temp is above the set point. If the water temp drops below the set point, the pump shuts off and the propane burner kicks on. I don’t have a big issue with that, but I’m just wondering if there is a way to hook it up so that the circulator pump only kicks on when the water temp is above the set point, and the furnace calls for heat, instead of running continuously whether the furnace blower is on or not. I would still want it set up so that the propane kicks on and the circulator pump stays off when below the set point. If it makes any difference, my furnace has a EWC controller board on it.

Your HVAC company set it up correctly. Electric motors don’t like to be turned off and on constantly. You’ll get much better life out of the pump just letting it run 24x7.

I’m assuming you are using a OWB also.

Last edited: