Ravelli Roma Insert - 08 depression error code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johannes L

Mar 30, 2022
Tarrytown, NY
Hi,

First time poster here! We just got our Ravelli Roma insert two days ago. The installer put it in, didn’t do a test burn nor configured the system (RDS) for us. After scouring the internet and the not extremely useful manual, I was able to figure out how to get it to start. It burned just fine, so far so good.

Yesterday evening it stopped mid burn with a “08 depresssion” error code. According to the manual this could mean that the pressure sensors are triggered, the combustion chamber is dirty or the exhaust is dirty. Given that the stove is brand new, dirt shouldn’t be the issue I believe. I cleaned the combustion chamber anyways, no difference. I noticed that I cannot manually, through the menu, engage the auger screw to dispense pellets anymore. This was working fine before. Now I’m wondering if the issue is that maybe some pellets are obstructing the screw and preventing it from turning? Not sure how that would result in this error code though. I have no prior experience with pellet stoves and im still waiting on feedback from my dealer on this. It’s a bit disheartening that it randomly failed after less than 10 hours of burn time with no clear indicator as to what the issue is.

Does anyone have any experience with this stove or any ideas as to what I could to do triage/fix the issue? Any help is appreciated!

You will get the "Depression" Alarm (and the auger won't run) if any of the following safety switches are tripped open:
- Vacuum switch (actually a pressure switch), which opens if the flue pressure is too high (like with a blocked flue)
- The front door is open.
- The pellet hopper lid is open.

Any of the above conditions can be the issue, or the pressure switch is defective, or it's wiring, or a door switch is defective (or its wiring), or a door switch is not mechanically aligned properly to activate when the door is closed. The mounting screws of the door switches allow switch body movement for proper alignment.

Last edited:
Oh that doesn’t sound great given that the unit is brand spanking new and worked for 2 days. I can hear the switches click when I close the door and the hopper. I’ll have to take a look at the wiring or have someone take a look at it. Given that this is basically an instant fail of the unit this should very much fall under warranty.

I just double checked the door! The switch engages but then disengages when the door is fully locked. Pushing against the door makes the augur work again. So all I have to do is move the switch a little bit forward. Thank you!!

I also just saw that they didn’t install the baffle - I’m shocked. Worried that the 10 or so hours we ran the stove already caused irreparable damage to the heat exchangers. It is beyond me how someone can just not install this piece (we don’t even have it)

I also just saw that they didn’t install the baffle - I’m shocked. Worried that the 10 or so hours we ran the stove already caused irreparable damage to the heat exchangers. It is beyond me how someone can just not install this piece (we don’t even have it)
I‘m guessing the baffle is what is also called the flame trap. A few years ago when we installed our Francesca we ran quite a few days without the flame trap. It came with our stove with but with no instructions. I didn’t see any noticeable damage to the tubes. After a few years the steel plate is due for replacement. Good luck with your Ravelli. They burn well once you figure out all the quirks and find a useable service manual. I’ve mastered my stove through information gained on this forum and internal troubleshooting. No local or regional expertise in my area.

Manly: How is your repaired airflow meter?
The repaired airflow meter has been working perfectly since installing. The stove runs every day. A month or so back I neglected to clean the burn pot for a few days during heavy use and I received a “no draught“ #13 warning. In my experience with this stove this is a normal occurrence with a new or properly functioning debimeter when the burn pot is plugged. So at this time I can say with confidence it runs and it works as intended with the RDS. Having reliable parts for this stove is very reassuring for the long term outlook, especially with the current and future scarcity of replacement parts.

You will get the "Depression" Alarm (and the auger won't run) if any of the following safety switches are tripped open:
- Vacuum switch (actually a pressure switch), which opens if the flue pressure is too high (like with a blocked flue)
- The front door is open.
- The pellet hopper lid is open.

Any of the above conditions can be the issue, or the pressure switch is defective, or it's wiring, or a door switch is defective (or its wiring), or a door switch is not mechanically aligned properly to activate when the door is closed. The mounting screws of the door switches allow switch body movement for proper alignment.
My Roma was having this issue. In my case the front door had to be adjusted to close a little tighter and on the underside of the hopper lid there is a little bracket that depresses the safety switch. It has a nut on it that was not tightened from the factory so it was not always depressing the safety switch..