Ravelli RV80 "Hot Smokes" and code 03 issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clockmanchris

Feb 16, 2020
Ellsworth, Maine
I'm having trouble with my Ravelli RV80 continually pulling a "Hot Smokes" and occasionally an 03 Hot Smokes code. When it's just the first one, the exchanger fan speeds up and the feed rate slows to cool down the stove. Then it goes back to work. When it hits a 03 code, it shuts down (I believe but can't remember).

What I notice at times is that the flame "vibrance" seems to vary during the day. Sometimes it looks strong and bright (about the height of the auger chute hole and like a blast furnace) and the pot has few pellets in it. Later in the day, the pot seems to fill up and the flame looks lazy, orange and tall. From what I can tell is that perhaps the exchanger fan is not running at proper speed at times. I had taken it apart last year to clean the fan and motor. Does it need it again?

Have you cleaned the exhaust passages behind the firebox, thru the clean-out / inspection hatches? There are two rectangular sheet metal plates (hatches), held on with two screws, on the sides of the firebox. These are only accessable if the exterior cabinet side panels are removed. See the 14th page of the attached RV80 Maintenance Manual, for diagrams of the inspection hatches. The large flat exhaust cavity behind these plates needs to be cleaned every season. The exhaust fan should also be removed (usually about 6 philips head screws) every season to clean its blades and housing.

Attachments

• Rv80_Ravelli_multilingua.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 317
I cleaned out the whole thing last year at the end and checked it at the beginning of the season. It looks unrestricted. I'm wondering if the smoke sensor is having an issue, but that wouldn't explain the variation if fire appearance, would it? I may have to wait until this weekend to look in the hatches again; I increased the pellet load capacity by taking an old canning boiler pot and cutting a hole in it and mounting it on top of the stove to let me load 2 bags at a time so it doesn't run out.
pellet stove pot.jpg

I solved the hot smokes issue by reducing how much of the sensor was inside the exhaust tube. I reduced the depth by half and no longer have the code. It has, however, now started overloading the burn pot and is burning lazily (big, lazy flames in the burn chamber and burning pellets in the ash tray). I keep thinking it must be an air leak or restriction, but I pulled the inspection ports on the sides and there was very little in there,; same for the exhaust pipe. I have no codes and have been running it at -5 feed and +5 fan speed according to my partner. Any thoughts?

Dirty stove
Do a complete cleaning air inlet to exhaust outlet
all passage ways and pipes

That's part of the problem; Ravelli instructions are terrible. I just cleaned out the burn chamber , exhaust pipe and both side access panels. I don't know how to get any deeper into it without some diagram.

You have created a Potentially dangerous situation with your stove, good luck with that.

Do you own a Ravelli? If not, you should know that the hopper lid is slotted, not solid, so if a fire were to start, it would take off no matter what. The tub does not ever get hot. The pellets inside it are room temperature, even at the bottom where it contacts the stove. Ravelli stoves have a heat exchanger on top and then about an inch or two air gap between it and the exterior cast iron top plate. You can leave your hand on the top plate of the stove as long as you want when it's running. There is zero chance of them igniting. As far as the safety switch, all it does is shut down the stove if you leave the hopper door open too long while loading or by accident; it's useless.

Reactions: TDB