Q&A Re: Artificial logs ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Craig- I have a freestanding metal stove with a glass door. Living in Florida- I only use the stove during winter for a couple of hours before we go to bed. Can I use the artificial logs they sell in home building centers? I've heard some people say the volatile gases produced by these type logs are not suitable for my sealed stove- yet that information does not mean much to me - what is the problem with volatile gasses? I'd like to use 1 log in the evening- and when it goes out (about 2 1/2 hours)- go to bed. Will this be ok?

Answer:

Bob- these logs contain sawdust and wax (paraffin). It is probably OK to burn them in a stove with the doors open (many stoves have screens for this use)- but you should not use them in a sealed stove. They are designed to burn with a large supply of air. Burning them in an air-starved stove could cause these vapors to go unburned- which would pollute the great outdoors- coat your stovepipe and even cause a chimney fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.