RE: Deciding on a woodhauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
For several weeks now I have had a dilemna . . . a decision . . . and try as I can I cannot come up with a final decision and so I'm turning to you folks for input.

I was going to post this in the Ash Can, but figured a) I would get more responses here and b) since one of this vehicle's primary uses is to haul firewood from the family land to home I figured posting this question in the Gear section would be a good idea.

My dilemna is this . . . my 2000 Toyota 4Runner has a badly rusting rear differential. I've fixed it now with a temporary epoxy type patch (well the garage fixed it) . . . but since the first patch failed after several months I don't have a lot of faith in the second patch.

If I opt to make a permanent repair the cost will be $700-$1,000 (not including labor). On top of this I am currently driving around with the check engine light on due to a faulty oxygen sensor (another $200) which my mechanic says shouldn't be an issue unless I notice it not running normal.

A little background . . . this is my "spare" vehicle. Generally I only use it for camping, hauling firewood/lumber/ATVs/sleds or for use on those slippery days in the winter. It is not my main vehicle, but on the days I use it generally I'm hauling something or going somewhere on a trip . . . it is not the vehicle I drive around the town of Unity.

If you've done the math it is about 10 years old and has 114,000 or so miles on it.

So my question . . . keep it and fix it up . . . or sell it while it still has some value ($4,500-$5,500 to a dealer).

I keep waffling on this issue since:

* It is paid for with no car payments every month which is nice since my wife and I are renovating the house
* It's in decent shape and has been reliable until recently
* It has relatively low miles
* I only use it intermittently and it has worked OK for my needs

On the other hand:

* I keep thinking of the cost to repair it permanently and correctly and wonder if it is worth putting into a vehicle at this age
* I find myself wondering if other components may fail on it and if this is the start to many repair bills
* My needs/wants have changed . . . I could use a pick-up now much more than I could use a SUV

So any input . . . any ideas . . . keep it or can it? I honestly go back and forth on this issue . . . one day I'm ready to sell . . . and the next day I think the best thing to do is keep it.

I should mention that the vehicle I am strongly considering replacing this vehicle with should I go this route is a 2008 Ford F-150 with 74K . . . my thinking is that while the higher mileage doesn't thrill me the price isn't bad and in the past I've purchased vehicles with higher mileage and had good luck with them . . . and this would not be a daily driver.

Tough call. With the economy still in the tank I'd lean toward fixing the Toyota but having an '08 Ford would be sweet.

Yup, tough call. But change can be good. I would try for something with more capacity than an F150 though. Insurance on an F2-350 may actually be cheaper. Better brakes and gearing also.

While I normally endorse "run 'em till they die", as mentioned it would be nice for a larger capacity truck. I am currently running (til it dies) an 86 F-250 and while it certainly is an eyesore it runs great and does anything I ask it to. Witht the side rails I put on it recently it will hold a fairly large load of wood and the engine/tranny is strong enough to get me out of the woods and back UP to my place.

My answer would depend on the condition of the rest of the undercarriage of the vehicle. I'm from down south where we use very little salt but I have never seen a differential fail directly due to rust. The rear pinion bearing went out on my '85 Toyota (Virginia truck) due to frame rust and the misalignment that it eventually caused. If a simple diff swap will fix it and there are no other issues, I'd say fix it and keep driving it but I would be willing to wager that if you have corrosion to that degree on the diff, it is fairly bad on other areas of the undercarriage and you will be fighting a losing battle that will only get more costly as time goes on. If you decide to swap the diff and it is 4WD, be sure to get another one with the same gearing to match the front diff.

If it's your second vehicle mostly used to haul stuff than I'd more or less fix it. I got a late 80's GMC I run for the same reasons as you. If I have to put 500 into it occasionally it's still better than payments for a couple of years...and you could always have problems with a newer vehicle too.

Better off with the devil you know.

It is a tough call. I have a hard time getting rid of a vehicle that has given me good dependable service. I would say for me if it would save me a lot of time and work I would get a newer truck but at least a F-250. If not I would look for a used axle.

Billy

JeffRey30747 said:
My answer would depend on the condition of the rest of the undercarriage of the vehicle. I'm from down south where we use very little salt but I have never seen a differential fail directly due to rust. The rear pinion bearing went out on my '85 Toyota (Virginia truck) due to frame rust and the misalignment that it eventually caused. If a simple diff swap will fix it and there are no other issues, I'd say fix it and keep driving it but I would be willing to wager that if you have corrosion to that degree on the diff, it is fairly bad on other areas of the undercarriage and you will be fighting a losing battle that will only get more costly as time goes on. If you decide to swap the diff and it is 4WD, be sure to get another one with the same gearing to match the front diff.

Yeah, guess it's a trade off. We have salt on the roads to deal with . . . you got the poisonous snakes. ;)

I think I'm actually leaning towards the very same thinking of you . . . in fact I just made an appointment on Friday with the garage to get it up on the lift and check the undercarriage for any other potential issues. The more I think about it the real issue is reliability . . . and money to some degree. While this may be the spare vehicle it still needs to be reliable . . . and since I tend to use it to trailer the toys on long trips I really want to be sure it will hold together on these long trips. If things look pretty good, I'll most likely repair the differential . . . if things look sketchy I may be going shopping and taking on another payment.

As for the rusting differential . . . apparently it's a relatively common issue with this generation of Toyotas . . . I'm not sure if it was bad steel, too thin steel or what have you . . . but an on-line search found a number of folks having similar issues with the gear oil weaping through the rusting differential cover . . . and unlike many other manufacturers where you can simply buy a new cover this differential housing is part of the axle housing . . . hence the high price tag.

firefighterjake said:
Yeah, guess it's a trade off. We have salt on the roads to deal with . . . you got the poisonous snakes. ;)

I think I'm actually leaning towards the very same thinking of you . . . in fact I just made an appointment on Friday with the garage to get it up on the lift and check the undercarriage for any other potential issues. The more I think about it the real issue is reliability . . . and money to some degree. While this may be the spare vehicle it still needs to be reliable . . . and since I tend to use it to trailer the toys on long trips I really want to be sure it will hold together on these long trips. If things look pretty good, I'll most likely repair the differential . . . if things look sketchy I may be going shopping and taking on another payment.

As for the rusting differential . . . apparently it's a relatively common issue with this generation of Toyotas . . . I'm not sure if it was bad steel, too thin steel or what have you . . . but an on-line search found a number of folks having similar issues with the gear oil weaping through the rusting differential cover . . . and unlike many other manufacturers where you can simply buy a new cover this differential housing is part of the axle housing . . . hence the high price tag.
The poisonous snakes aren't too bad. I live in the woods on a riverbank and the last time I saw one was several years ago when the river got high enough to run them up the hill. I have a friend from here up there in Houlton with CBP. I would like to take the trip to see him maybe next summer.
I have an '01 Tacoma. I'll keep an eye on it, too. I know that there was an extension on the corrosion warranty issued but I haven't seen any issues at all. I was thinking a complete used differential/axle swap. If you can find one in good shape used, it isn't too bad to do yourself. We swapped one out on my Dad's '84 Ranger once.

firefighterjake said:
* My needs/wants have changed . . . I could use a pick-up now much more than I could use a SUV

For this reason alone I would get the pick up.

besides, it's a maine state law that any male over the age of 18 must own a pickup.

I'd have to toss mileage / insurance and taxes into the mix.
I'd consider $700-$1000.00 as 3 or four loan payments - not bad if that's the only repair bill for the year.
(although $300/mo for a loan payment is getting a bit inadequate as time marches on )

I'd rather be camping in the 4runner - but a pick-up is nice, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.