RE: For the old time stove junkies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
A bit sad to see this come up . . . a local couple restored vintage woodstoves for a number of years and kept some of the rarer examples they came across as they opened up a woodstove museum in town along with some other oddities (the doll circus was without a doubt one of the odder displays -- OK, it was downright creepy.)

Sadly the couple have died and part of the stipulation is that all items are sold and the profits divvied up among the heirs. While far from the state of the art heating units we use today, some of these old wood and coal stoves were true works of art from an earlier age. You can check out some of the pictures of the old stoves by scrolling down through the auction site -- it's under the Bryant Stove Works listing.

Wow. Or owe my back!

FFJ, thanks for sharing. There are some exquisite works of castiron wizardry in that collection and a number of practical marvels amongst those cookstoves. I would have enjoyed seeing that collection up close.
huauqui

Oh my goodness, what an incredible collection. It's a shame to see it all being sold and scattered about. OTOH it's a good thing it's 3000 miles away. I would leave there broke. Are you going to bid on a steam engine Jake?

There will be over a 1000 people there bidding. When there are estate sales around here, the road gets blocked by traffic especially if old tools or guns are involved.
"Antique Roadshow" made everyone a collector.

Oh my goodness, what an incredible collection. It's a shame to see it all being sold and scattered about. OTOH it's a good thing it's 3000 miles away. I would leave there broke. Are you going to bid on a steam engine Jake?
Nope. Not planning on bidding on anything . . . some pretty cool stuff there though.

I had the displeasure of attending an estate sales of a old WWII vet neighbor a few years back as he was moving into an assisted care facility. What made it so sad was that he was present and watched as all of his life's accumulations went up for auction and largely went for pennies. One man's treasures and all...

They're amazing pieces of history and craftmanship, certainly, but my guess is that most of that will end up in a scrap heap due to the simple logistical challenge of finding a caring home for that many stoves in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: 71montess
It's a very sad time of life for people and I remember the old guy next door as I sat with him while his family was coming over to take him to a assisted living place. I said to him "Lea" why don't you walk from room to room and say "good bye to everything" which he did and in time as they arrived "off he went to his new life"...He by the way lived to be 98 years old and when I went to visit him he thanked me for suggesting that last walk in his home...Its hard especially when some things are so special you just do not want it to end up on a shelf in a thrift store..but's life (tv show)--"You can't take it with you"..so in our very own ways we get ready for the big shin dig--lol--you go to sleep and just never wake up--how easy that sounds...lol lol..clancey

Reactions: 71montess
I always wanted to stop in and see the place, but we never found the time.

There will be over a 1000 people there bidding. When there are estate sales around here, the road gets blocked by traffic especially if old tools or guns are involved.
"Antique Roadshow" made everyone a collector.

Yea I will be there, but like everyone said, I know it will be crowded so Im not sure ill be bidding. But ill get a number and wait it out and see what happens. Should be a good time, and be able to see some nice old stoves.

Reactions: begreen