RE: Good news for folks affected by the polar vortex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Affected is correct. They have been affected by the polar vortex effect. If they had effected the change they would have been the ones causing it.

Is it affected or effected?
To effect is to bring about or cause something to happen. For example, The dictatorial regime quickly effected changes to the constitution that restricted the freedom of the people. On the other hand, affected means made an impact on. It is the past tense of the verb form of affect, which means to impact.

I was listening to radio show a few months ago by an etymologist who is concerned with the southern pine beetle raising havoc up in New England with northern pine species. He said the key indicator they were watching was the official coldest one night during the winter. If the temp on one ight goes below a certain amount they will all die off but if it stays above they will not. The temps along the shore in southern New England are now being warmed by a warmer ocean so they are worried they will spread up the coast.

I thought I heard back when I lived in Colorado that it depends on the species of bug/beetle. I could have sworn that the pine beetle that was killing off most of the Rocky Mountains needed like -30F for consecutive days to die which will never happen in the lower 48..

This particular variety lives down south and is major pest. I cant remember the magic temp they were discussed but it was definitely above zero.

Affected is correct. They have been affected by the polar vortex effect. If they had effected the change they would have been the ones causing it.

Is it affected or effected?
To effect is to bring about or cause something to happen. For example, The dictatorial regime quickly effected changes to the constitution that restricted the freedom of the people. On the other hand, affected means made an impact on. It is the past tense of the verb form of affect, which means to impact.

Probably shouldn't admit what I went to school for . . . rather embarrassing.

No problem. I certainly ain't no grammarian.