RE: It's not a Thanksgiving meal unless there is . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
So it occurred to me today that if folks are anything like me there is at least one food item that is a "must have" for the Thanksgiving Day meal.

For me it just isn't Thanksgiving without banana bread . . . for my cousin Gene it was my Nana's green jello fruit salad.

Today I did an informal poll to see what other folks said . . . figured I might as well continue the fun on this site.

So how about it . . . it's not a Thanksgiving meal unless there is ____________ on the table?

An argument. ;lol

An argument. ;lol

One reason why I don't eat at my parent's house any more. Just a few good friends joining us this year . . . no arguments, no drama.

Pecan pie on the table, and a fire in the stove.

Reactions: Tech Guru
The older generation in the family did pork stuffing for the turkey. It was pretty much the same ingredients as french canadian meat pie (toritiere) but used for stuffing.

9a778d42b51e608d17637e782d00625e.jpg

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Last edited by a moderator:
my mom's stuffing and pumpkin pie. 18 of us and i'm the only one who likes it:(

There are so many, but lefse is right up there, with butter and sugar.

There are so many, but lefse is right up there, with butter and sugar.

I just read about this the other day . . . sounds delicious.

All the usuals but green bean casserole w/ frenched onions only comes around once a year.
Just finished peeling a few pounds of potatoes, that only happens once a year too ;lol.

Yes, the lefse is bland, but butter and sugar make it a treat.

I actually like bland . . . I'm a vanilla ice cream, plain buttered rice sort of guy. ;)

Cheesecake...specifically pumpkin cheesecake. It's just like pumpkin pie but better because it's cheesecake. ;)

Something I started a few years ago and the kiddos have come to expect is the Turkey smoked out on the grill.

Speaking of which, I did a traditional rub with fresh rosemary and sage for aromatics. I did not have any smoking chips so out to the woodpile for a cherry log.

Turned out pretty darn good this year.
1123171817.jpg

So did the cheesecake..
1123171927.jpg

Let's just say we are officially full.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Reactions: Ashful
I think turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie have been consistently in my Thanksgiving dinner for my whole life, even when in the Air Force.

Turkey and cornbread dressing, yeah I am from Texas and if it wasn't shoved in the bird it ain't "stuffing", and pumpkin pie. A necessity since I had my teeth yanked this year was mashed potatoes. Think transport medium here.

Gotta have roasted squash no matter what else is there. This year I did an alternative meal plan - smoked pork shoulder, cole slaw and garlic bread but there was still room for some roasted winter squash. And blueberry pie for dessert.

turnip and carrot mash - carrot sweetens up the turnip, and better for you than regular mashed potatoes

Reactions: fbelec
turnip and carrot mash - carrot sweetens up the turnip, and better for you than regular mashed potatoes
My wife makes a killer rutabaga au gratin. I'll mention the carrot to her though with homegrown ruties there is a natural sweetness and none of the bitterness that one sometimes gets in store bought.

Made my banana bread . . . and burned it. Should have listened to my wife when she said it smelled like it was close to being done . . . it still looked a little gooey on top so I let it cook a little longer and ended up with a singed bottom and sides.

Banana bread can be tricky. I've tried my mother's recipe many times and it never turns out like hers. Every time she makes it it's perfect mine usually ends up too dry.

I’ve been listening to several podcasts on the Pilgrims, including a few on the first Thanksgiving, with my son recently. Interesting note, potatos were not introduced to North America until many years later, and it’s likely their first “mash” was with turnips and carrots, those being some of the first vegetables they planted in year 1.

after dinner turkey sandwiches on dinner rolls... this year I was in the Dominican Republic, so we had to settle for regular bread :)

Banana bread can be tricky. I've tried my mother's recipe many times and it never turns out like hers. Every time she makes it it's perfect mine usually ends up too dry.
my son decided we should make banana bread a few months ago. He then turned it into a Peach Bread, which was much better than my banana bread. he is 5 and came up with the recipe.

now back to your regularly scheduled thanksgiving
qmWLYxQCD79riPC1mSH2RNzu_5q1ZZRhh6iZDyaGAH0L01BnQ7Nj8vG0uoljGLrhlYnunBQcJko_qyLQ_X4=w369-h656-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: