re-lighting ipi stove for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Hi,

New to gas ownership after having pellet for 10 years. Recently moved in here about 9 months ago so this is the first year trying to turn them back on.

I have a heat n glo sl-950tr-ipi-d (nat gas) that I'm pretty sure I disabled in the spring to turn off the heat/gas, and now i can't remember what i did and it won't turn back on. :(

I have 2 other units (smaller) in the house and they have a standing pilot and those kicked on no problem, but this main unit has the ipi type pilot. I'm positive i disabled those in the spring and had the gas off and all.

This one, i left the gas lever on, so i don't even know what I may have done. My wife recalls me saying something a week after I said there's nothing to do because it's ipi and i did something. I don't recall (getting old sucks !)

Gas is on, and the only other switch that I can see is on the wall plate (standard light switch) , I've tried hi/lo and all throttle in between. Nothing happens for over a min, then i get scared and turn off the light switch.

What else is there to look for?

manual is here:

Looking at it closer, the pilot light does come on and burn with the light switch on. But the main burner and the stove itself never kick over.

Again, i get chicken after about 30 seconds to 1 min of it being on and not kicking over... scared of blowing up the house.

Is it possible the burner line is clogged, or should i just let it run until it kicks over?

last winter, it would start up in 3-5 seconds of light switch flick every time so this is already 5x grace period i'm giving it.

I took the whole thing apart last weekend and cleaned it with compressed air (aka, a bike pump with a ball needle on it) and some paper towels and it kicked right over after i put it back together. must've just been dirty enough to clog the gas line or the spark.