RE: Range burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I've had good luck asking other appliance repair questions here so I might as well try again . . . after reading a few other sites (i.e. appliance repair and part sites) I suspect I might know what the issue is, but need confirmation.

I have a gas burner and for some time now one burner lights intermittently . . . sometimes it takes a while for it to light and sometimes it just will not light until you've tried it a couple of times.

The other day it stopped working entirely.

I looked at the igniter and it seemed as though it wasn't sparking so I bought one and replaced it. It sparks now, but there is still no ignition.

I attempted to clean the gas orifice . . . I can smell gas, but it still does not ignite.

Ideas?

Your gas isn't dry enough?

<ducking under the desk>

Reactions: Ashful
You know . . . I don't think it's been seasoned . . . only have had it in the tank for a few months now.

The tank doesn't allow for enough air circulation.

Reactions: Ashful
any residue building up around the orfice where the gas comes out? That can sometimes render it to not ignite.....maybe also check the supply tubes to the burners, and make sure the iron diffuser covers (spread the flame under the pan) are seated properly onto the diffusers.
Just taking a stab at it here. The dirty orfice problem happened once with my old gas furnace (many moons ago, long before we had the woodstove).

any residue building up around the orfice where the gas comes out?

I hate it when that happens!

On a serious note, try blowing things out with some compressed air?

Is this propane or natural gas? If propane, has it been a while since a refill?

Reactions: pyroholic and ScotO
I had the same problem with mine. The orifice and tubes had some cloggage going on, and the tubes had some rust scaling built up inside.
I cleaned them well and they light better but not perfect.
Time for new burners.

Scotty and Hog . . . you've confirmed what I thought the issue might be . . . a problem with the orifice. I've had problems with this one burner from Day 1 when my father helped swap out the natural gas orifices for the LP orifices. I think my next step might be to replace the orifice. Thanks.

jake just for laughs try swapping the flame spreader for one that lights easy to see if the spreader is warped.

Reactions: UMainah
Sometimes when cleaning the burner, the ignitor tip will get bent a bit. If it's not situated just right it won't lite the gas.

Well it's now over a month later and I must admit that I still haven't figured this problem out . . . wasn't all that motivated either after failing to fix it with the replaced igniter and I hate to spend a chunk of change on new orifices only to find out that they aren't the problem . . . then again . . . if they are the problem I would be quite happy . . . so I figured I would toss this question out again to see if folks have any more insight.

I did try cleaning the orifice out with a paperclip . . . did nothing.

I have also noted that if I turn the burner on and then light a match it lights up fine.

So any suggestions . . . or should I bite the bullet and try replacing the orifice?

Long shot - there isn't any draft blowing across the burner? It wouldn't take much at all to interfere with ignition.
My gas grill is sensitive to drafts on startup.

does your stove have 4 separate spark tips or two (one in the middle of two burner to light thru a tunnel? if it has a tunnel check your flame spreader to see if it has a extra hole to point to the tunnel and if so make sure it is clear and not in need of a drill bit to clean out. also if it does have a tunnel does the flame seem ok or a little smaller? this could go with either type of stove if the regulator is not pushing the right pressure the gas might not hit the igniter. you would have to have a manometer to check the pressure. or just try nudging up the pressure to see if it lights.

Fbelec . . . separate spark igniters.

The other four burners light and work fine.

Coupla thoughts...
Did you try pulling the orifice completely off & the turn the gas on to blow out anything behind it?
Is the igniter sparking directly into the path of the gas flow coming from the orifice?

Not knowing squat about gas ranges, I'd probably swap the new igniter with one on a working burner, and see what happens.

1. New igniter works on another burner, igniter is okay.
2. New igniter fails on another burner, new igniter is bad.
3. Known good igniter doesn't work on bad burner, start looking at gas supply and igniter supply wiring.
4. Known good igniter does work on bad burner, problem solved, call it a fluke.

Fbelec . . . separate spark igniters.

The other four burners light and work fine.

sounds like a bad wire or termination plug that should be easy to find at night shut all the lights and ( i know it sounds weird ) look for the leak. all it takes is a fracture or scuff on voltage that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.