Rear flue baffle location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robinski

Jul 14, 2020
Maine
My prior stove was a mobile home model with no baffle but this winter I will be using an older wood burner (1894 Wood&Bishop) that has a rear flue. My question is should the baffle be in the first exiting piece of stove or should I first have a clean out tee and have the baffle in the first vertical piece of stove?

Do you mean a stove pipe damper? I would put it on the first vertical section.

It doesn't matter where a flue pipe damper is installed. Make it easily accessible. It is not installed for the stove, it is a chimney control to prevent an over drafting chimney.
Chances are the mobile home stove had the chimney sold and designed for it. That same stove connected to a chimney with excessive draft would need one. They are certified for use in a mobile home and must be installed "as tested", so the manual won't mention one, since it is only installed with the supplied parts as a kit.
A damper works like a valve in a water line. Doesn't matter where it is, the purpose slows the velocity of rising gasses up the flue.

A baffle goes in the firebox. It reduces smoke, and changes the flow from straight up the stack to move heat forward.

It doesn't matter where a flue pipe damper is installed. Make it easily accessible. It is not installed for the stove, it is a chimney control to prevent an over drafting chimney.
Chances are the mobile home stove had the chimney sold and designed for it. That same stove connected to a chimney with excessive draft would need one. They are certified for use in a mobile home and must be installed "as tested", so the manual won't mention one, since it is only installed with the supplied parts as a kit.
A damper works like a valve in a water line. Doesn't matter where it is, the purpose slows the velocity of rising gasses up the flue.

A baffle goes in the firebox. It reduces smoke, and changes the flow from straight up the stack to move heat forward.
Thanks much!