Rear venting into Prefab?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I've seen many set ups where folks build out the hearth and install a rear venting stove in front of the prefab.
I've got a couple questions maybe you can help with:
  • Do you "tee" into the liner inside the prefab firebox?
  • Can you cover up alot of the old prefab opening? I've seen people use the black metal plates, but what if I bricked it all closed (except for the thimble area)? I would still be able to clean if I had removable pipe from the back of the stove into the thimble.
  • Does the horizontal pipe from the stove into the prefab need to be level, or should it have an upward rise?
Thanks

I've seen many set ups where folks build out the hearth and install a rear venting stove in front of the prefab.
I've got a couple questions maybe you can help with:
  • Do you "tee" into the liner inside the prefab firebox?
  • Can you cover up alot of the old prefab opening? I've seen people use the black metal plates, but what if I bricked it all closed (except for the thimble area)? I would still be able to clean if I had removable pipe from the back of the stove into the thimble.
  • Does the horizontal pipe from the stove into the prefab need to be level, or should it have an upward rise?
Thanks
  • Yes, tee
  • I would think only with a removable cover - @bholler may have more thoughts on this
  • The horizontal pipe should be as short as possible and slope upward toward the tee.

Yes tee
Yes only a removable cover that does not obstruct the vents at all. Also the cooling chsnel in the chimney at the top cannot be obstructed either. And as always have a full level 3 inspection done and chack with insurance and local codes

Wife doesn’t like the look of the big black 3.5’ square behind the stove.
I was thinking if you could just fill in with matching brick and have a removable pipe from the stove you could clean out that way with a shop vac.

Wife doesn’t like the look of the big black 3.5’ square behind the stove.
I was thinking if you could just fill in with matching brick and have a removable pipe from the stove you could clean out that way with a shop vac.
Nope you need to keep those vents functional

Ok. Why does it have to be removable? How would this be any different than if I was going to tee into class A in a chase 5’ up. You wouldn’t have access to the “tee” in this case. I could even brick over the prefab without blocking off the vents. I guess I just don’t understand why the prefab cover would need to be removable.

Ok. Why does it have to be removable? How would this be any different than if I was going to tee into class A in a chase 5’ up. You wouldn’t have access to the “tee” in this case. I could even brick over the prefab without blocking off the vents. I guess I just don’t understand why the prefab cover would need to be removable.
Because you need to check the condition of that prefab anually.

My wife also wasn't a fan of the black cover idea but has warmed up to it now that its installed.

upload_2018-1-22_13-44-37.png

And i dont understand how you could brick over the face without obstructing the vents

The cover could be copper, stainless or even a painted brick pattern, but it should still be removable.