Recommendation for rods and brush to clean a Quadrafire 3100 step top from bottom to top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wallowa

Oct 14, 2021
Oregon
Which are the strongest, secure will not come apart or break, chimney rods and brush for my 3100 Quadrafire step-top wood stove. Cleaning from bottom to top.. Thanks

Which are the strongest, secure will not come apart or break, chimney rods and brush for my 3100 Quadrafire step-top wood stove. Cleaning from bottom to top.. Thanks
You don't want to pay for the strongest most secure rods. A sooteater setup will work just fine for the amount of cleaning you will do.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Spot = soot
Soot eater. Be aware that if the rods screw together, to only run in the proper (tightening) direction.

The newer White rods are more flexible than black rods, so if you have elbows, that might be useful.

What about using a round brush like a Rutland poly? And are snap together rods more secure than threaded ones?
Getting a brush or rod stuck in my chimney is my worst nightmare..:cool:

Many of us have been using the sooteater, some for over 5 yrs. I haven't heard of a connection coming apart. Usually I have the opposite issue of getting the pin pushed in to take them apart.

What about using a round brush like a Rutland poly? And are snap together rods more secure than threaded ones?
Getting a brush or rod stuck in my chimney is my worst nightmare..:cool:
Yes much more secure. And a rotary cleaner head won't get stuck?

OK...going for SootEater , lastly I see them with white [nylon] or black [poly?] rods and understand white is more flexible, but which is stronger? I asked about Rutland circular brush n lieu of string style only because I thought it might clean more effectively..

Hey when you approach the pipe cap, how do you know that you are there and should stop?

Thanks for all the input...appreciated...

I use a Sooteater, white rods.

Also have a couple of rods and brush sets. I like the rods/brush from Fireplace Essentials in upstate NY from the UK. Have the 39-foot kit, 6-inch liner.

Hey, comments?...a lot of pictures of the Sooteater rods breaking in the review sections of various vendors for this product....an issue?

OK...going for SootEater , lastly I see them with white [nylon] or black [poly?] rods and understand white is more flexible, but which is stronger? I asked about Rutland circular brush n lieu of string style only because I thought it might clean more effectively..

Hey when you approach the pipe cap, how do you know that you are there and should stop?

Thanks for all the input...appreciated...
A rotary cleaner is far more effective. And run it up into the cap and spin it there so you clean the cap as well. I clean 8 or so chimneys a day and I almost never use brushes anymore. They are harder to use and don't work as well

I need the pointy tool that comes with the Sooteater to depress the button to separate.

Used mine 3 years in a 30-foot chimney. Hasn't broken. Only have a 30-degree elbow on my insert to liner, then pretty much a straight shot with gentle curve at bottom to smoke chamber.

Hey, comments?...a lot of pictures of the Sooteater rods breaking in the review sections of various vendors for this product....an issue?
Almost all of the reviews are positive. I saw one review where that happened. Have to think user error in that case, like trying to make the rods do a 45º turn? FWIW, I just went on Amazon and looked at conventional rod kit reviews for Rutland and Midwest Hearth rods. Same complaints. I am running through a pair of 45s offset and it goes through them like butter.

That's why I like my rod station button lock rods. Those little buttons are a pain

So, I had bought a sooteater for a mid season run, but it's still in the box. Indeed, I was mistaken; no screw coupling so no directionality to rotate.

The little hex key has a pointy end to depress the little button to help separate the rods.

I just use the normal 5ft long yellow crew together fiberglass rods, not to say its the best or worst but works for me, but mines a straight shot up 32ft from the cleanout tee to the cap.

That's why I like my rod station button lock rods. Those little buttons are a pain
What exactly is a "...rod station button lock rod"? And a "rotary cleaner" [drill]?

Ordered SootEater yesterday...thanks for all the valuable input folks...

Last edited:
What exactly is a "...rod station button lock rod"? And a "rotary cleaner" [drill]?

Ordered SootEater yesterday...thanks for all the valuable input folks...
Rod station button lock rods are a professional version of a rotary cleaning system like the soot eater. They all have a head with heavy string trimmer line on it that you run with a drill. The pro versions are nicer and more durable. But a full soot eater system costs about $100. My pro rods cost about $50 per 3' rod. $75 for a basic head etc. For a homeowner cleaning once or twice a year the cheaper version is all you need.