Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crhyner

Mar 13, 2021
Yonkers, NY
Hi,

Totally new to this thread, but have been thinking about installing either a wood burning stove or insert in my fireplace since we bought our house (2014). My wife's family has a great stove in their house in IL that I just love, and I'm always jealous of my friends' who have stoves at their houses (and barely use them)!

I got a quote from a local company a while back that seemed exorbitant for a Heat Champion insert with installation - he discouraged a stove, but I don't recall exactly why, something about it being a pain the butt to install the liner. Maybe like 6K with installation. Then I read reviews on this insert and they weren't great. I can probably save a lot of money by buying an insert or stove (and liner) directly, then hiring a local roofer to come help install everything. Obviously, safety and quality are THE top priority, but I don't want to be taken advantage of by the local company for a product that got bad reviews.

Wondering if a stove or insert would be appropriate for me...and recommendations...

The fireplace is 27" high, 39" wide (though is angels in on the sides), and roughly 21" deep. Attached are a couple pics. Sorry, not so clean at the moment. My house is an old house, one zone radiant heat, and this insert or stove would be supplemental in the winter months.

Looking for safety, affordability, and quality.

Any input appreciated. Thank you.

Charlie

63736366178__CD540020-0D15-4C71-B8C9-24F10B04CD26.jpeg 63736368688__D047201A-2670-4F82-9F94-7BC75EBC3432.jpeg

I always like the look of a free standing stove, but looking at your pictures an insert would look great too I think. The flush hearth wouldn‘t stand out as much with a free standing stove. Might need hearth protection extension if it’s a free standing. How big is the room and how is it connected to the rest of the house and how many sq ft? $6000 isn’t crazy. Mine here in North Carolina was over $5000. 3500$ for a stove 1000$ for an insulated liner and 1000$ for the install.

27” is not high enough for a lot of stoves, but all the inserts. there Are a few on the 26% 2021 tax credit list. Morso has two I think but they are very small. The Aspen C3 is small but claims to put out decent heat with longer burns. ( I kinda would like one for my basement but I want some real world data which I haven’t seen a whole lot of Before I bough).

https://www.vermontcastings.com/products/aspen-c3-wood-burning-stove?page=Specifications

if you want longer burns more heat I think an insert is worth looking at. I’m looking at a blaze king princess or Sirocco and the much cheaper Drolet 1800i. First two qualify for the tax credit last one is cheaper even after the credit.

just my thoughts.

Evan

FYI, you'll need to install a liner regardless of whether you get a stove or an insert.

A stove or modern EPA insert will provide much better heating efficiency. A total cost of $5-6K is not out of line if this is a 2 story chimney.
One concern is how well the heat will circulate from this room to the rest of the house. How open is the floor plan? Can you provide a simple sketch of the layout?

Hi,

Totally new to this thread, but have been thinking about installing either a wood burning stove or insert in my fireplace since we bought our house (2014). My wife's family has a great stove in their house in IL that I just love, and I'm always jealous of my friends' who have stoves at their houses (and barely use them)!

I got a quote from a local company a while back that seemed exorbitant for a Heat Champion insert with installation - he discouraged a stove, but I don't recall exactly why, something about it being a pain the butt to install the liner. Maybe like 6K with installation. Then I read reviews on this insert and they weren't great. I can probably save a lot of money by buying an insert or stove (and liner) directly, then hiring a local roofer to come help install everything. Obviously, safety and quality are THE top priority, but I don't want to be taken advantage of by the local company for a product that got bad reviews.

Wondering if a stove or insert would be appropriate for me...and recommendations...

The fireplace is 27" high, 39" wide (though is angels in on the sides), and roughly 21" deep. Attached are a couple pics. Sorry, not so clean at the moment. My house is an old house, one zone radiant heat, and this insert or stove would be supplemental in the winter months.

Charlie

View attachment 276298 View attachment 276299
Why would you have a roofer install a chimney liner?

FYI, you'll need to install a liner regardless of whether you get a stove or an insert.
I installed a Drolet Escape 1800. I had 28.5 inches height but 27 would be enough but you will need the adapter to connect from the inside. There are a couple of threads on installing this stove. I got mine from Costco, 1500 for the stove, flex liner and trim. Need to buy the liner insulation though. My house is a ranch with a shallow gradient roof so I had no problem. Good idea getting a roofer to help though, won't be too expensive if you have everything prepared ahead of time.

Hi,

Charlie

View attachment 276298 View attachment 276299
And no don't get the heat champion it is just a glorified set of doors. Get a real insert and liner

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Here's a bunch of vague replies (sorry!)....

The floor layout is very open, the living room (pictures) is connected to the dining room and kitchen with no doors, just totally open with large passageways. There is a staircase from the living room to upstairs, where there is no real hallway, just a landing and three bedrooms with doors. From there is one more door to a finished attic.

I understand that there has to be a liner no matter what. I'm thinking an insert would be most appropriate for this space. The chimney itself has a 6"x6" flue, however the part that has the damper attached is noticeably smaller. It appears that this can just be removed, but not sure. The chimney goes two stories, so I'm guessing in the 25'-30' range.

I'm leaning towards the Drolet 1800i because of its reviews and affordability....other thoughts? Thank you again, everyone!

Charlie

From your picture I'm imagining your cat using a scratch post on a trampoline.

Reactions: gthomas785
The Drolet will be fine as long as it fits. Double-check the flue measurements. 6" x 6" is too small for a fireplace.

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to this website and everyone who helped me - fireplace dude came today and installed my Drolet 1800i. It just barely fit - he had to take out about 4" of brick in the back of my fireplace and it was a pain getting the liner in too, but it's all done. I'm pretty handy, but I don't think I could've done this on my own - money well spent.

I think it looks great, got a bunch of wood seasoning in my back yard. Feeling happy. Here's a few pics.

thanks,

Charlie

Attachments

• 2021-05-22 13.29.40.jpg
    2021-05-22 13.29.40.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 2021-05-22 13.31.57.jpg
    2021-05-22 13.31.57.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 132
It looks good! Note that the hearth carpet is not a valid hearth extension. The area in front of the insert will get hot. It needs R=1.0 protection for this installation.

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 12.48.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Thank you all, returned the rug and bought that. Peace of mind. thanks again.
Well done. Now all you need is a good supply of dry wood and cold weather.