Red Flashing Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

South Shore

Nov 14, 2017
NH
Hello, I have a Kinderhook FS pellet stove . The stove is three years old and came with the house i just bought. I had a stove shop do a seasonal clean out and go through the stove.It is wired to a thermostat and the mode is on auto/off. I have had no issues till last night it went off and the red light was flashing on the heat output indicator. The stove was running on the lowest heat setting. I couldn't find an error code for this in the manual.I unplugged the stove and vacuumed it out (usually done every 2 days). When i plugged it back in it started up, i raised the temp setting up to the second level and its been running now for about 20 minutes. What does the flashing red light mean on the heat output indicator? Thanks, South Shore

Sounds like you're tripping the overheat sensor, google, and go through a trouble shoot on that.

out of the manual

4. Light # 2 on Heat output bar flashing (The Vacuum Switch contacts have opened for more than 15 sec.)
Pinch, break or blockage in Vacuum Hose - Check hose for pinch points or damage, replace or re-route as required. Blow out Vacuum Hose Blocked Hose Barb on Exhaust Channel - Use a paper clip to clean out Hose Barb or remove the Vacuum Hose from the Vacuum Switch and blow into the hose to remove blockage.
Blocked exhaust / venting system - Have stove and venting cleaned and inspected.
Severe negative pressure in area where unit is installed - Check the operation by opening a window, does this solve the problem? If it does, install fresh air intake to unit or room. Venting system may require vertical section to move termination into a low pressure zone.
Vacuum Switch failure - Bypass the vacuum switch, if this corrects the problem check for above problems before replacing the Vacuum Switch. Damage to gray wires between Circuit Board and Vacuum Switch - Inspect wires and connectors
Combustion Blower failure - The Combustion Blower is not turning fast enough to generate the proper vacuum in the Exhaust Channel. Visual Check; is the blower motor turning? Check the Exhaust Blower voltage across the blower wires (>=114 V on #5 setting and >= 82 V on #1 setting). – Replace the Circuit Board if the Voltage reading is less than 82 V. with a line voltage >114 V AC.
Check Vacuum levels in the exhaust channel by bypassing the vacuum switch, then remove the Vacuum hose from Vacuum Switch. Check exhaust vacuum readings by placing the open end of the Vacuum Hose on a Magnahelic Gauge. (readings must be above .10” W.C. on low fire). If the motor fails to reach a 0.10” W.C. readings, then replace the Combustion Blower To reset Circuit Board after a trouble code - push the ON/OFF button

Sounds like you're tripping the overheat sensor, google, and go through a trouble shoot on that.
Thanks, I'll check that out. The stove is been running now for about 4 hrs on #2 setting. When the issue happened it was on setting #1 (lowest) seems ok now, but will google it , I checked the wiring diagram and found a hi limit temp sensor and a convection temp sensor also. Thanks, John

out of the manual

4. Light # 2 on Heat output bar flashing (The Vacuum Switch contacts have opened for more than 15 sec.)
Pinch, break or blockage in Vacuum Hose - Check hose for pinch points or damage, replace or re-route as required. Blow out Vacuum Hose Blocked Hose Barb on Exhaust Channel - Use a paper clip to clean out Hose Barb or remove the Vacuum Hose from the Vacuum Switch and blow into the hose to remove blockage.
Blocked exhaust / venting system - Have stove and venting cleaned and inspected.
Severe negative pressure in area where unit is installed - Check the operation by opening a window, does this solve the problem? If it does, install fresh air intake to unit or room. Venting system may require vertical section to move termination into a low pressure zone.
Vacuum Switch failure - Bypass the vacuum switch, if this corrects the problem check for above problems before replacing the Vacuum Switch. Damage to gray wires between Circuit Board and Vacuum Switch - Inspect wires and connectors
Combustion Blower failure - The Combustion Blower is not turning fast enough to generate the proper vacuum in the Exhaust Channel. Visual Check; is the blower motor turning? Check the Exhaust Blower voltage across the blower wires (>=114 V on #5 setting and >= 82 V on #1 setting). – Replace the Circuit Board if the Voltage reading is less than 82 V. with a line voltage >114 V AC.
Check Vacuum levels in the exhaust channel by bypassing the vacuum switch, then remove the Vacuum hose from Vacuum Switch. Check exhaust vacuum readings by placing the open end of the Vacuum Hose on a Magnahelic Gauge. (readings must be above .10” W.C. on low fire). If the motor fails to reach a 0.10” W.C. readings, then replace the Combustion Blower To reset Circuit Board after a trouble code - push the ON/OFF button
Hi, The light that was flashing was #8 heat output indicator, the stove was on lowest setting, i will research, Thanks for the info.

Hi southshore- Kinderhook is a Hudson river stove made by Enviro for them. A flashing 8? I think it only has 5 heat levels. The blinking lights tell you an error code. If it was running on 1, it probably shut off due to low exhaust temp, which would flag a flashing 3, insufficient exh heat level, so the the POF (proof of fire) error was set. It would be flashing too if the stove ran low of pellets, then shut off. The diff lights are error codes. 2 is vacuum, 4 is overheat, 3 is POF, etc.. Hope this helps.

Hi southshore- Kinderhook is a Hudson river stove made by Enviro for them. A flashing 8? I think it only has 5 heat levels. The blinking lights tell you an error code. If it was running on 1, it probably shut off due to low exhaust temp, which would flag a flashing 3, insufficient exh heat level, so the the POF (proof of fire) error was set. It would be flashing too if the stove ran low of pellets, then shut off. The diff lights are error codes. 2 is vacuum, 4 is overheat, 3 is POF, etc.. Hope this helps.
Hi Stovelark, Yes your right my mistake. I was looking at the manual and pg. 19 shows operating instructions,has #8 referring to what each thing is on the display, My fault. I think your right on the low temp flashing # 3 , Old saying goes you learn some thing new every day! Running great now thanks. South Shore

Reactions: stovelark