Red Runner log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dquest

Dec 13, 2018
Ont,Can
Anyone heard of these. I saw an add for one that had the same description as the Wallenstein Firebolt wxr740 but was $1500 cheaper. Was wondering if this is a scaled down version made by Wallenstein.

Last edited:
Not familiar here in the states with that brand.

Not familiar here in the states with that brand.
Noticed that the specs say Honda but the pics are a Lifan engine. Apparently interchangeable parts with Honda but who knows. Makes me go hmmmm !

Last edited:
They are made by a company in Quebec!
You say 1500 less than a Wallenstein so about 900
because a Wallenstein 22ton starts at 2400 here.
I know you, lads, Stateside pay a whole lot less than
we do My Surge Master cost 1800 4 years ago
Mind you that 1800 is 1296 in USD Now
they start at 2600
All in all it looks like a pretty good splitter and it is
built-in Canada.

They are made by a company in Quebec!
You say 1500 less than a Wallenstein so about 900
because a Wallenstein 22ton starts at 2400 here.
I know you, lads, Stateside pay a whole lot less than
we do My Surge Master cost 1800 4 years ago
Mind you that 1800 is 1296 in USD Now
they start at 2600
All in all it looks like a pretty good splitter and it is
built-in Canada.
Yes I saw that they were made here so I reached out to them. I was referring to the comparison between the Wallenstein WXR740 27 ton which is 3900 and the Red Runner 27T which is 2400. Btw from the company, the Lifan engine that it is built with does not come with a warranty.

The Wallenstein WE235 is 2400 and comes with a Honda GCV160 engine, the WX520 is 3000 and comes with a Honda GX200. Both have 5 year warranties and the GX engine is 3yrs and 2yrs on the GCV from Honda.
Both are 20T.
I was surprised to see the EXACT description for the WXR740 appear on the Red Runner page ( They even call it the Firebolt WXR740 ) . They can say Canadian made as more than 50% of the parts come from Canada. It should be more like assembled in Canada although they freely admit where the parts come from.
I'll be staying away from the Red Runner

Btw from the company, the Lifan engine that it is built with does not come with a warranty.
It comes with what we call the one-too guarantee, once it's out the door, too freakin' bad.
Optional 30-30 warranty, 30 minutes or 30 feet. ;lol ;lol

Reactions: dquest