Reduced clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lord Preston

Dec 21, 2013
Northern Ontario
Hi I have a drolet austral 1st gen in a corner application. Clearance to combustibles is 16 inches I believe but can be reduced using sheet metal and spacers st the wall. The manual says the reduced clearance for this case is 67%. Does that mean reduced to 67% of 16 inch niches or a reduction of 67% ??

I believe its total clearance to combustibles, so 16" then 1/3 so with a wall shield with proper spacers it can go down to 6" but the caveat to that is making sure that you have the proper clearance with the smoke pipe, so which ever is greater, dvl pipe allows a maxium of 6" to combustibles wall shield or not. Single wall pipe is 18" without shroud.
Even with a wall shield, I personally wouldn't go closer than 12" though, chimney fires even in double wall pipe get very hot, to me its not worth the extra few inches of space.
NASD - Wood Stove Installation and Operation (nasdonline.org)

12" per the NFPA tables is the minimum reduction unless the stove maker has tested and published their own close clearance specs.